Primus 100 burner plate

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by glassmanallan, Jan 10, 2020.

1. glassmanallan

glassmanallan Subscriber

Im going to attempt to make a burner plate from mild steel for my newly acquired 100. Reading some of the advice already posted on this subject im not entirely sure what thickness to use. I think its likely to be between 3 and 6mm. In addition had the original plates a domed finish?
    Finally dont suppose any one has an original plate for sale suitable for a 1920s vintage 100.

2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

I've made a 100 burner plate from flat 3 mm brass sheet and have found that to work perfectly well. It doesn't get used sufficiently frequently to be able to comment on long term durability however. But then brass is so easily worked that, if it did eventually disintegrate, making another would be no great hardship.
    Ian:thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

A Sievert plate is dished. My other 100's have a flat plate.
    Duane

4. itchy

juliands on ebay (who may well come around here on occasion) has had decent reproductions for sale on occasion. Might be worth a contact.

Prior to getting one from him I had fashioned an embarrassingly ugly facsimile of one from scrap steel and it functioned just fine.

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

“If you want to handcraft a flame plate for a No.100 style stove, the dimensions are as follows:

The overall diameter of the plate (measured tip-to tip of the legs) is approximately 64mm or 2.5inches.

The Centre plate has a diameter of 44mm or approx. 1.75inches.

The thickness is probably not critical, if you are using stainless steel. 0.6mm (or 24 thousands of an inch) is adequate. For brass sheet I would probably double that thickness.

Before using the above dimensions to fashion a plate, I recommend checking the dimensions of your burner bell. The one I measured had a diameter of 59.3mm or approx 2.36in at the base of the cutouts, where the flame plate legs perch.”

From this thread:

1911 Primus No.100 Resurrection.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

6. glassmanallan

glassmanallan Subscriber

Many thanks for your replies. I think i'll have a go at a brass and also a steel one and then ive got something to compare when it comes to firing up the stove.