Primus 134 Double Burner Stove

Discussion in 'Primus No:134' started by jerseytool, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jerseytool

Hi,
    Does anyone have any info about this stove? The red label on the front says "Primus 134." I have not found any info about it anywhere. If someone know any info about it, I would appreciate it.
    I have not dated it yet, is there a specific place I should look for the manufacture date?

Thanks for your help. I am looking forward to restoring and using the very cool stove.

1319047665-Primus134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. jerseytool

Thank you for the info.
    Do you know of there is any way to date the stove? Did Primus put it in a specifice spot?

4. kerophile

Hi JT. You are looking for a letter/number code, maybe in a circle, probably on the tanks themselves:

With a stove of this vintage it will likely be one capital letter (possibly two) with perhaps one or two numerals.
    The letters give the year. We don't yet know what the numerals refer to:

http://

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. kerophile

6. jerseytool

Hello again,

Wow, the circles on both tanks have AA 16 in them. I guess that dates this stove to 1936. Its too bad nobady know what the numbers are.

I always get a kick out of the history of antiques. To think that this stove was being used during the Great Depression!! I wonder how much the original cost was. It must have been a very luxurious item to own.

I will search this wonderful site for more info, but does anyone have any helpful hints or suggestions for restoring this beauty? What were the original paint schemes? Does someone make reproduction stickers? Whats the best way to get the brass tanks as beautiful as others on this site...

So many questions. Any help would be appreciated. And of course I will take plenty of pics and post a complete store of the restoration.

Thanks again for all your help so far.

7. kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. jerseytool

Thanks for all the info. I have a lot of work ahead of me. Do you have any info on the colors Primus used? I might have a better idea once I clean everything up, but I am not holding my breath.

Also, what do you think of electrolisys to remove rust on the iron parts? I have used it often on iron and steel and I have been very happy with the results.

I also have the Primus can. I am assuming these things are rare. What was in them? I figure it was probably oil for the leather pumps.

1319125766-PrimusCan.jpg 1319125766-PrimusCan.jpg

I also found this key in the box with it. Does it go with the stove, or is it a hitch-hiker?

1319125844-PrimusKey.jpg

Many yhanks to you for all your help.

9. kerophile

Hi, your photos are fairly small and the colour rendition rather poor.

It appears that your Pr.134 has brass tanks, rather than chrome-plated brass. If so the body of the stove would originally have been green "japanned" (painted). The chromed tank variants had the option of both green japanned or green vitreous enamel. These observations are made after reading the 1937 Primus Catalogue.

If you look at the illustration of the stove in the above Catalogue you will see the spirit-can. This tin is for "priming" the burners with alcohol to pre-heat them for vaporising the kerosene fuel.

Electrolytic cleaning/rust removal would be good for preparing the stove body for repainting.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. jerseytool

I will get better pics when I have a chance.

Any idea where I can get a sample of the color? There are many shades of green. lol

I have jappaned restored hardware and tools. I have only made black jap. Any ideas on how to make green jap?
    Or a better question: what would you do to repaint and recondition the stove?

11. jerseytool

Also, was it actually Jappaning? I have made a mixture of Asphaltum powder, Turpentine, and boiled linseed oil. It comes out jet black and it can build up rather thick if you are not careful. And to cure the jappaning, I baked it in the oven.

1319147113-caster.jpg
    Here is an antique caster I restored and spent way too much time Japping. lol

Would the same procedure be used for the Primus? If "real" jappaning is used, I will have to find a receipe that turns it green. I hope I can find the exact shade of green, or any other color for that matter, still on the stove. If something other than "real" jappaning was used, what was it? I know a lot of finishes were called "Jap" but were something else.

I enjoy restoring things to original, or better than original condition. I am looking forward to starting the Primus but I want all the info I can get so I do it right.

Do you know of any 134's that still exist? Are there any pics that I would be able to find? I have looked, but with no luck.

Also, I did see the spirit can in the catalogue. However, I have never used a Kero that needed something like that.

And once again, I thank you for your time and knowledge.

Matthew

12. kerophile

Hi Matthew,

1. I have never seen another Pr.134, although I am sure they are out there somewhere.

2. The term "japanning" was widely used in Industry in the 19 and 20th Centuries. It refers to a heat-cured paint finish, usually applied to metal objects. I am sure the paint was produced in vast industrial quantities rather than hand-made as were the original paints used in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanning

3. Have a look at the vitreous enamel finish used on a near-contemporary Primus twin-burner range:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/8236

Or this green paint finish:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/16166

If I was restoring the Pr.134 I would chose one of these shades.

You appear to have most of the stove parts and the others can probably be obtained. If you are an experienced restorer it should not be too difficult....and very satisfying.

Best Regards,
    George..

13. kerophile

Hi Matthew, you asked the question about the key that came with the stove.
    If you look at page 41 of the 1937 Primus catalogue, the link of which I gave earlier, you should find this under Keys and spanners (wrenches).
    The key is #1542 and is a multi-purpose tool intended to fit nipples/jets, box nut, and cleaning needle. It is intended for several stoves including the Primus No.134

According to the 1937 catalogue the Primus No.134 was fitted with # 4115 Primus silent burners, which incorporated an internal jet-cleaning needle. The same burner was used on the single-burner Primus No.15 stove:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/4924

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/16801

Does you stove still have this type of burner?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

14. jerseytool

George,
    Yes I saw the 'key' in the catalogue. I need to take the grime off to see any details. A short soak in the electrolisys should do the trick.

As far as the burners, yes they are still there. They look complete, but I haven't even touched them to verify. All the external parts look to be intact. The condition of the stove suggests that it was put away working, and sat for a very very long time. I even have what I think is the original wooded box. It doesn't have a lid with it, but it has leather hinges. I figure the leather rotted, the top fell off and was lost.

I think it's amazing the spirit can and wrench are still with it. Not to mention the small parts like the caps to the tanks, and the tops of the silent burners. It looks to be all original and not tampered with throughout its 75 year life.

I did flip it over and I found the color green on the underside. I am looking for a company that can apply vitreous enamel to the cast iron body.

Does anyone have any idea how long this model was made for? I saw the 1932 catalogue and it wasn't in there. And the 1937 book looks like it had a lot more models in it.

George, do you have any other suggestions for me about the restoration? You have been a great help and I see that you are an experienced restorer. I have read your posts about cleaning the brass, and I am looking forward to trying it. Any other links you think would be helpful?

Matthew

15. kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015