Primus 1892-5

Discussion in 'Primus Early Models (un-numbered)' started by igh371, Mar 17, 2019.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC08272b.jpg
    Here we have an early Primus which has suffered various modifications and has clearly led an eventful life, even although in other respects it does not appear to show undue signs of wear from use. The various modifications include non-original filler cap, pressure release screw and burner (that fitted is a Juwel unit), it also appears to have a rather neatly retro-fitted 1896-or-later type of pump tube.
    DSC08270.JPG DSC08271.JPG DSC08269.JPG

Remaining key early features are the early B.A.Hjorth tank base stamp, the lack of a model number, and the pump cap and rod assembly.
    DSC08266.JPG DSC08265.JPG DSC08278.JPG

Those key early features place this stove later than Hjorth's taking over of Primus marketing in 1892 but earlier than the introduction of model numbering in 1895. A stove from this period would originally have been fitted with the pre-1896 removable type pump assembly which is well illustrated on the other stoves shown in this section of the Primus stove gallery. On this stove the original pump has been replaced at sometime and for some reason even though the rest of the stove, legs etc do not appear heavily use worn.

So far so good but there is one very puzzlesome feature. The only tank top legend present is the deeply impressed, crisp, one word: 'Patent'.
    DSC08275 (2).JPG
    There is absolutely no sign or trace of any other marking at all. There are known examples where "Patent' is clear but the name 'Primus', or later the legend 'Primus No.1', is very weak in comparison. In this case, however, there is no indication that the Primus name has ever been present. So is it possible that there were some stoves made, presumably just after Hjorth had taken over marketing, which only had the 'Patent' mark alone and before the 'Primus' name was added too?
    DSC08268.JPG DSC08273.JPG DSC08274 (2).JPG
    DSC08276 (2).JPG DSC08284.JPG DSC08280.JPG

DSC08279.JPG

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Radler

I have very little knowledge of the Primus history. Maybe PATENT was just used as name. A abbreviation of something like "Lundquist's PATENT wick-less kerosene stove" produced by the Hjorth company.

There are several products in German, which became popular just as patent-thing, i.e. patent-shoelaces or patent-pegs. But I think PATENT was, for legal reasons, not acceptable as a registered and protected international brand name.

But this is just an idea, not a historical fact.

Best Regards
    Radler

3. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Lovely, well done. :)

Another interesting jigsaw piece.

4. igh371

The suggestion made by @Radler above, for a German market origin, may well be a line to consider. Here are a couple of photos of a c.1896 Primus which clearly was prepared for the German market (see 'DRP' registration on cap):
    Leboncoin.fr Primus a.jpg Leboncoin.fr Primus b.jpg Leboncoin.fr Primus b (2).jpg
    Just like the example that is the subject this gallery post these photos show only the word 'PATENT', no 'PRIMUS' and no 'No.1'. This example also very definitely always had an 1896-and-onwards type of pump from new. So maybe the one that I have posted did have this type of pump from new too. That would put its likely date a little later than originally suggested, to c.1896. It is very unfortunate that my example has lost its original filler cap, if it had many of these questions may have been easily solvable.
    Interestingly there were also some Hjorth/Primus products for the French market, from the same 1896-8 period, that also indicated that local design registration had been taken out by Hjorth:
    DSC08472.JPG

5. igh371

I wrote above that, "A stove from this period would originally have been fitted with the pre-1896 removable type pump assembly … On this stove the original pump has been replaced at sometime"
    This is not necessarily the case. @Christer Carlsson suggested some time ago that these pumps could well have been in production before the patent application was processed. On reconsideration I believe that this could well be the case here, in which case there is no need to juggle with the idea that the 'modern' pump is a retro-fit, or that the stove itself would be any older than 1895 at the earliest.
    The solder around the pump tube seems too close to have covered a hole large enough to have accommodated a detachable pump, far more likely to have been necessary remedial action to reinforce the rather crude, flangeless, fitting of the earliest '7225 patent' pumps as seen here on a close-up shot of the 'DRP' example pump fitting:
    DSC08660.JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019