Primus - 1892 or earlier (?)

Discussion in 'Primus Early Models (un-numbered)' started by Christer Carlsson, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Maybe the date isn't absolutely certain, but according to the anniversary book from B.A.Hjorth, the early stoves without any name was made before Hjorth took over the sales in 1892 (The tank lid with the Hjorth name on it could of course be a later replacement in that case).
    This one is practically identical in the general features with the one I posted here.
    The only differences I can notice (on things that couldn't have been swapped through the years) is that they actually folded the rim from the side of the tank around the bottom plate on this one in contrast to the other one.
    The other difference is that there is a little rivet looking thing at the very centre of the bottom, and that there is the letter "P" stamped in it just beside that "rivet".

The burner has obviously been changed, and this one is also missing the top lid (If anyone has that part, I'd be interested in it).
    The tank lid has the text B. A. Hjorth & Co on it, and the patent number 6186.
    Saying B.A. Hjorth should mean at least after May (I think) 1892, but the lid is not something you should use for dating an item. Only indicating.

The patent number is either mis-stamped (it is so on another old Primus lid I have) or referring to another country than the usual ones.
    I have tried all those who BAHCO exported to in the early stages, and no one is correct.
    E.g. the Swedish patent for this number is about a three-sided nail... :lol:

I would assume that the folded rim is an improvement from the other old stove from this pioneer era, so I think this one is slightly newer than the other one I posted.

The text on the pump lid is correct for the period according to the Anniversary book from B.A. Hjorth.
    It also show a lovely amount of wear. This stove has surely been used!

The pump tube is surprisingly un-damaged. Generally someone has used a pair of pliers to remove it at some time on these, but this one has obviously been removed with the correct tool all time.
    And it came out pretty easily, showing the usual pre-1896 NRV.
    The valve is still working without any flaws! The old cork is sealing, and the spring is still springy.
    The old pump leather was also working satisfactory after three days in mineral oil.

It's wonderful to see a 120 year old item still work as intended.
    I have pressurised it as it came, using the old pump leather, old cork NRV and even with the old cork in the tank lid, so I have no doubts that it will work once I'll find- or make - a new lid for that burner.
    That's a winning concept to you. :lol:
    1379787362-3.jpg

1379787362-3.jpg 1379787368-1.jpg 1379787374-2.jpg 1379787381-4.jpg 1379787386-5.jpg 1379787397-7.jpg 1379787391-6.jpg 1379787401-8.jpg 1379787406-9.jpg 1379787411-10.jpg 1379787416-11.jpg

2. yonadav

3. Christer Carlsson

Thanks Yonadav!
    That little word actually sums it all up pretty much. :lol:

These very first stoves by Lindqvist himself is more or less the reason we got this forum in the first place, if you take it all a bit far...

4. ali.m

nice stove :o

5. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Industrial archaeology at its best! :thumbup:

Alec.

6. threedots New Zealand

Nice stove Christer.
    I always dream that I would find one of those but more likely in Sweden than New Zealand I guess.
    That one is in beautiful condition alright and it is in good hands now. Cheers, John

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Before I read the first reply I thought WOW!!
    I obviously was not wrong. It is so nice to see something, so well made, so well taken care of.
    I do hope you find the top cap for this stove.
    Thank you for sharing this, it was a lesson for me.
    Removable pump without soldering.

Ken in NC

8. Christer Carlsson

Thanks everyone.

Yes, Ken. It would be nice to get the burner complete, even if it's not original for this stove.

John, I think you are correct. It might be tricky to find one of these oldies in New Zealand. :lol:
    But you never know!

9. Rick b

Amazing find Christer, to be that old and in the shape its in. Well done.

10. threedots New Zealand

I like the little pip on top of the brass inner burner cap. The same as the one on one of my pre 1911 Nr.5 Primus stoves.
    I guess it is there so that it would be easier to remove the inner cap otherwise the stove would have to be turned upside down. John

11. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

What a fascinating arrangement for the NRV. Any ideas when the more usual version started to appear?

Regards
    John

12. Christer Carlsson

Yes threedots. I also believe the little pip is there to ease removal of the inner cap.
    It's small, but it's still no problems to pinch it between your fingers and lift the cap.

Jeopardy, the patent for the usual NRV is from 1896.
    Not sure this absolutely means that they changed the production at the same time. It could be slightly before or a bit after. Or both...
    But the patent date of the new NRV is generally held as a decent help in time dating the Primus stoves.
    A more exact way for that year (1896) is otherwise that the logotype of a little stove was inserted between "PRI" and "MUS" in the engraving around then.

The new NRV patent is from J.V. Svenson, but the inventor is Lindqvist himself.
    The new valve was developed in order to cut down production costs.
    I must say that the older one seems to work really well.
    I have it on a handful of stoves, and they have all been working as they should without me doing anything with them.

13. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

14. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber