Primus 21 - pre 1911?

Discussion in 'Primus No:21' started by joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co, Oct 28, 2009.

1. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co Subscriber

Hi
    Just got this primus 21 by mistake. Bought another stove but got this stove shipped to me by mistake. Of course hard to send back, but with paying some extra I could keep it. I have not yet lighten it, but it builds pressure and everything looks very fresh.I will put in some pictures as soon as I lighten it.
    Haven't seen so many of the Primus 21 here, so I guess it's not the most common modell they sold. The burner got a little slim look I think. It's stamped with a B in the bottom.

Best Regards
    Joakim

1256765047-DSC_1474.jpg 1256765053-DSC_1475.jpg 1256765064-DSC_1476.jpg 1256765070-DSC_1477.jpg 1256765081-DSC_1478.jpg 1256765087-DSC_1480.jpg 1256765099-DSC_1482.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

A fixed leg 'discus' type stove - very nice indeed!

3. redspeedster

redspeedster Romania Subscriber

4. hikin_jim

What a nice mistake. :) Not too many of those 21's around. How much extra do they want?

5. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

In fact it cost me about 27€ , I would normally not buy a three leg stove for this. But once you got the stove in your hand it's much harder not to buy, specially if you get some feelings for it.

Best Regards
    Joakim

6. Ian

Ian Subscriber

A snip! Less than a bottle of whiskey & much more fun. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

can a seller do that ?
    i'd have thought if you bought it in good faith and the seller sent the wrong item that's their lookout,
    i don't know that i would be paying extra to correct someone else's mistake,
    i'd be more inclined to say that although it isn't what i bought i'd be prepared to keep it just to save the seller the expense of the return postage and the cost of the seller then sending out the correct item

8. hikin_jim

Such a beautiful old burner ring. Yes, I can see how feelings could develop!

9. Ian

Ian Subscriber

A little consideration goes a long way. Many problems we face on a day to day basis are founded by people taking the pedantic line.

10. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

pedantic ?
    i thought it was part of a consumers rights to get what he paid for,
    and if the firm/seller stuff up then it isn't for a consumer to correct the mistake by being out of pocket.
    did the seller offer to pay for the return postage and then to send the correct item at the sellers expense ? if so that would probably have cost the seller more in the long run
    i know on ebay that if i stuffed up like that as a seller i would be footing the bill and quiet right too imo

11. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Joakim hasn't said whether he did or did not get the stove he originally ordered as well. I would hope that the deal here was that the seller sent the correct stove after the error was found and then also offered the option of either keeping the incorrect stove for an extra cost or returning it at the sellers expense. That would be the correct way to handle the situation.

Cheers, Graham.

12. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Wonderful stove Joakim, and a fantastic patina!

I just love to see stoves in this un-polished condition.

Are you going to keep it in this wonderful way, or will you make it shiny?
    Not that I dislike buffed stoves in any way. A highly polished brass stove makes a real beauty, but somehow I just get more attracted to a patinated one. If a shiny one is placed next to yours, my eyes surely will land on yours. :lol:

13. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

Hello
    I contacted the seller and told he made a mistake. The natural solution was that either I returned the stove to the correct buyer and got compensated for the freight, and the seller sent the correct stove to me. But now this appeared to be not a big deal for the real buyer of this stove. So the seller offered me this stove for same price as original buyer minus the saved extra freight. I'm feeling more peaceful trying solve things in a friendly way.

For moment I will keep it as is. Perhaps give a slight polish to have text little bit more visible. But if I do that I know I will rub it shiny in one spot and then I have to do the whole stove.

Best regards
    Joakim

14. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co A query regarding the dating if I may. The tank top design shown on your 'No.21' was superceded for the 1911 (A) model year, though there are a few odd 1911 'A' stoves around that used it, using up pre-existing tank stocks (e.g.). It would be remarkable, but definitely not impossible, for a slow-selling model like the No.21 to have been still using up tank stocks from 1910 in 1912, or could this actually be a pre-1911 stove? We don't see the tank bottom in the photos above, is the 'B' under 'Sweden' inside the normal provenance mark like this:
    DSC05072.JPG
    or is the 'B' on its own elsewhere in which case it may be an extraneous production stamp and the stove actually pre-1911?
    Ian:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2021
  15. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@igh371, has Joakim been back since 2009?

16. pyro_P Australia

Last seen Feb 1 2019.

17. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

Sorry for very late answer,

The date marking are actually outside the "ring"

prim21-dat.JPG

Kind Regards
    Joakim

18. Simes

Simes Subscriber

I really should have checked shouldn't I. Apologies Joakim nice to see you're still about.

As I'm stuck indoors I have plenty of time to write out something 100 times....

19. Lennart F Sweden

Nearly identic to the 1912 Primus 21 I bought today, but mine has the normal B stamp and multilingual patent text, similar style legs but with knob feet - it has a later silent burner.
    I think they are quite close in assembly time, maybe just a few months.

20. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @igh371

See here:

This shows the stove to be pre-1911.

Cheers

Tony