Primus 210

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Steven59, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Steven59 United Kingdom

Hi I need some advice, I am restoring a Primus 210 stove. I have replaced the pump cup washer and non return valve and also replaced the burner.
    The problem I have is that the stove won’t run , it will burn for about 10 minutes and then blow out. There is plenty of pressure but the flame seems to be very unstable. Does anyone have any ideas.

all help much appreciated

many thanks
    Steven

2. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Why have you replaced the burner?

3. Steven59 United Kingdom

I replaced the burner, because the original one had a hole in it. I am thinking that the burner might be faulty, because the stove will burn but keeps cutting out.

4. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Fresh fuel?
    Maybe something in the jet. Do you have a pricker for it? Be sure there is not something stopping the jet.

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Steven

If the fuel is clean, the burner is clean, the components are snug tight, and the seals are working properly, these are very reliable stoves.

I suspect dirt (carbon) in the burner/nipple/jet, or an air leak.

Cheers

Tony

6. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

If the stove will run reliably for ten minutes and shut off just about every time that you use it then I would suspect a faulty seal. Basically my thought process on it is that you are building pressure up and a questionable perhaps semi-hard seal is giving out such as an old filler cap seal. You mention that the flame is unstable. How so ? Are you having to pump it to keep the stove running ? I would suggest checking all of your seals to start.

When it "blows out" is the flame simply snuffed or is there still fuel coming out of the nipple/jet indicating that there is pressure remaining ? No fuel would indicate a sudden loss of pressure or blockage. I would (not suggesting that you do this) twist the burner off slightly once it goes out to see if it would have enough pressure to leak thus possibly indicating residual pressure at that point. You could also prick the jet while it is still hot to see if fuel would release thus indicating a blockage of some sort at the nipple.

7. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Don't want to oversimplify the problem, but over the years in the field I have found pricking to ameliorate similar malfunctions; sometimes needing to be done multiple times.

In these instances I visualize some bit of crud bouncing around in there and finding its way, through pressure, back to the aperture. Perhaps again and again. After all, the pricker just pushes the problem back inside for awhile-- but the process serves well notwithstanding.

8. Steven59 United Kingdom

Hi thank you all for the advice. I have resolved the problem with the stove. The issue was dirty fuel and fuel tank.
    I emptied the fuel, then washed out the fuel tank with hot water until all the dirt and debris were cleared.
    I then rinsed it out with a small amount of fresh paraffin. Then refilled with clean paraffin, job done, the stove has just run for 30 minutes with no problems.

many thanks
    Steven

9. threedots New Zealand

Hello @Steven59 .

If you are still having problems, remove and clean out the inside of the burner jet with a rolled up piece of fine grade wet and dry sand paper, rolled to the thickness of say a match stick and rotate that inside the nipple to remove soot and bring the brass to a nicely polished clean shine again.
    The roll of wet and dry sand paper will become pointed as you push it inward toward the funneled entrance of orifice hole and clean right up to it.
    Finally rinse out the jet in meths, prick the nipple orifice with the correct sized pricker then rinse again before reinstalling the jet back into the burner.... This is what I do when I service a burner that has a very good condition jet.

Carbon fleck build up on the inside of the jet(near the jet orifice), can cause the the fuel gas stream from the jet to flutter as it leaves the jet(causing erratic flames) and possibly to the point that it will temporally block the fuel flow and extinguish the flame.

Hope that helps. John

10. monkeyboy

pretty cool little stove the 210. makes me want to give mine a go.

thanks man,

buzz