Primus 347

Discussion in 'Primus No:347' started by cruiseroutfit, Aug 30, 2011.

1. cruiseroutfit

Any clue what I have? I've read that it was likely a marine stove, designed to burn on alcohol. From the previous owner: "It's an alcohol or "methalated spirit" stove, used frequently on old sailing vessels (I live in an old sea coast town). It's in pretty fair shape, everything is there, including the funnel"

Worth fixing up as a regular use stove?

1314681051-IMAG0456__Small_.jpg 1314681307-IMAG0459__Small___2_.jpg 1314681503-IMAG0457__Small___Custom_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. BernieDawg Banned

Looks like a 527 to me. Check the listings here at CCS's Stove Reference Gallery and also the catalogs in the Reference Library and see what you think. If a 527, then it's an awesome stove with kerosene and an ok stove with alcohol. It can be set up for either.

Whoops! Needed to grab my glasses! :oops: Sure enough, it's a 347 in your photo. How about a closeup of the burner(s)? I'll bet they are alcohol-only.

The date code should be on the front of the tank so you can tell how old it is. Go here for the code translation:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/11464/
    Nice stove.
    Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. BernieDawg Banned

OK. Here it is:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/fusion/gallery/1/1210007053-004.jpg
    From the 1952 brochure here at CCS.

After doing some enlarging of your photos I'd say those do look like alcohol burners. If you don't mind the slower heat times of alcohol, it could be a nice user. Relatively uncommon, I'd guess, so could be a good collector stove as well.

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. cruiseroutfit

Thanks for the reply Gary, I'll check out the date code and see if I can figure out what year it is.

I'm 100% new to old Primus stoves. Having fixed up a handful of older Coleman appliances I'm hooked on old gear. Is there a good resource for old Primus parts? Looks like I could use a new pump piston to start.

5. cruiseroutfit

Also, any clue what the black knob is on the bottom of the tank? It looks like it threads into a brass insert in the tank but I can't identify any function within the tank? For mounting it to a table perhaps?

6. cruiseroutfit

Also, any clue what the black knob is on the bottom of the tank? It looks like it threads into a brass insert in the tank but I can't identify any function within the tank? For mounting it to a table perhaps?

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I believe the black knob is to hold onto, to steady the tank/stove when you are pumping with the other hand.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. BernieDawg Banned

Heya Cruiseroutfit
    I'm on my way out to the Oregon Stove Gathering so won't be of much help for a week or so. If you need a new pump leather Sefa here at CCS is the man to see for the best ones in the world. Check here:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/16356/

Other parts are available from our site sponsor, Base-Camp in the UK or check with A&H in the US as they used to (still do?) have a lot of marine stove parts. Links page:
    http://www.

I'll check in when I get back to see how you are making out. In the meantime, there is lots of data here at the site. Google site searches work fairly well. And, there are a *bunch* of really super helpful people who will hopefully chime in with any questions you may have. You may wish to post a new thread in the Fettling Section to get a bit higher visibility for the helping types to see you.

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    GAry

9. cruiseroutfit

Thanks for the reply Bernie, I'll check out those links. I'm up in the air on restoring right now but at a minimum I would like to get it fired up.

10. SRN

Nice find, Kurt. I need to come by and take a look at that puppy.

11. cruiseroutfit

Surely, its out in the shop awaiting some time.

I did find that it is a 1937, has an AB date code:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/11464

Is this something one of you might be interested in? I'm up for trades, Coleman stuff, one burner light stoves, etc. LMK