Primus 51 year 1935

Discussion in 'Primus No:51' started by expat, Nov 29, 2012.

1. expat

I managed to pick this little beauty up on the bay of evil. It wasn't in great shape but wasn't in bad shape either. Unfortunately, a previous owner had hit the stove with the dreaded coarse wire wool - it's still scratched but after several polishing sessions it's much better. The spirit cup was also badly mis-shapen but has been teased gently out into a rough approximation of what it once was!

The trivet has been sprayed with Hammerite VHT matt black - after soaking in rust remover first.

1354229363-IMG_3086.JPG

1354229376-IMG_3085.JPG

1354229302-IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

1354230338-IMG_3088.JPG

2. Rick b

Hi Expat. Wow, your Primus is looking very good. Have you or are you going to fire it up?

3. expat

Hi,

Yes I fired it up before cleaning it ;) I will have to drag it out of the collection and take some flame shots at some point :)

4. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Expat very nice indeed, you have done a great job on it and getting out all those scratches.
    That is the problem a lot of previous owners, when selling their brassware collectables etc, they try polishing them thinking it will sell better, but they use the wrong materials and do more harm than good.
    And getting out these scratches, depending on how deep they are can all so cause damage by removing to much material, and flattening and crisp lettering and engraving on the tanks.
    If any steel wool is to be used, then it should only be 0000 ultra fine, the type used in for cutting back french polish, and then with caution and there are a good few members who would not use it.

5. expat

It does break the heart to see what is done to some really old stoves :( It took ages with and a mini drill to get the worst out.

6. Viscara

Originally Silicon Valley now in Netherlands.
    Very well done restoration job on your new stove I have to say. The priming cup looks almost OEM and you cant tell it was damaged before. The Trivet looks great in that color and type of paint. The paint keep the used look to it but fresh and clean at the same time.

7. expat

Thank you, you are very kind to say that. I am a mere amateur compared to many here! I re-shaped the cup by using an old cup above it and teasing it back into shape. As long as the hole for the burner thread is properly circular you can get away with it! Otherwise it doesn't seal properly (for me anyway).

Simmonz (Holts) manifold paint is also v good for trivets.