Primus 525

Discussion in 'Primus No:525' started by SMolson, Apr 1, 2013.

1. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

A nice example of a Primus 525 Marine stove, complete with her fiddle rails.

1364835022-IMG_2483_-_stove_opt.jpg

She's dated at 1926 (P), beautiful rich, unblemished patina on her fuel tanks so left them as is after the stove's full degreasing.

1364835046-IMG_2479_-_Button_opt.jpg

Only needed the standard new parts: viton PIP replacing the original corks, steel spring replacing the original brass and new viton fuel cap gaskets. Her pump leathers were in good shape (dry) and after a 3:1 oil soaking were back in business. This one was sourced along the west coast of the US, out of California.

1364835033-IMG_2492_-_stove_running_opt.jpg

I love and really enjoy working with these steel-plated, 1920/30's scallop-shell type stoves. They have such an appealing form and are so sturdy and dependable. I have a fair bit of roots and history with the marine environment so these types of stoves are always special.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Sparky

That's a gem of a stove and I am just a land lubber!

3. brassnipplekey

For the last 5 years Primus 525 has been my sole kitchen stove ... sat attop a 4 ring gas cooker .
    The fiddle rails are viaable on land as well .
    V V nice stove .

Nick

4. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

lol Sparky. I'm in the same 'boat' so to speak, 650 km's from salt water but we have lots of fresh water lakes/rivers around.

Sorry, should have added more pictures to the gallery.

Front underside. Two knobs on the base of each tank (typical for the Primus 5XX model of stoves). Note the 2 frame base supports for screwing into the vessels table/counter top. The other option of course is the gimbal mounts for marine stoves. Can get pretty rolling out there...

1364842572-IMG_2490-underside_opt.jpg

Both fuel tanks are identical in their pump rod/fuel cap alignments - each on the same sides, only the fuel line placement is different. Makes it a challenge to fill the right tank as the fiddle rail gets in the way of most funnels (I use 2 when filling, daisy chained). Both tanks can easily be unscrewed and the screws are in perfect shape (thanks to the west coast sunshine and dryness).

1364842581-IMG_2485_fuel_tank_opt.jpg

Fuel cap and vent screw.
    1364842589-IMG_2769_Fuel_cap_and_vent_screw_opt.jpg

Nice 'knurling' along the rim of the fuel/fount cap - again typical for this series of Primus double-burning stoves.
    1364842596-IMG_2772_fuel_cap_opt.jpg

Another shot of her twin burners lit.
    1364842602-IMG_2496_-_litjpg_opt.jpg

I've been using this stove pretty much non-stop at the house for cooking/meal prep. I rotate most of my domestic stoves for in-house use but I'm having a hard time switching out this one. Because they are not regulated you have to be careful/watchful of the heat output, which is controlled of course by the vent screw and pump. But I've cooked everything from rice (require lengthy simmer) to full on scorching Caribean Stewed Chicken and various deep fried dishes (doughnuts, french fries, chicken wings, etc) and she's handled everything perfectly.

5. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the post and glad we came to the same conclusion on this one! I simply love it, and I've used the 515 (regulated), 514, and other double burners but the 525, currently anyway, is the Queen for in-house use. I have a few fry pans and pots that are too wide to fit inside the rails, but that's a minor quip compared to all her other advantages. Glad to hear there are others out there getting quality time!

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Very nice.

I'll be putting one to use soon hopefully. Currently dismantled in the workshop awaiting an overhaul. A recent acquisition from my trip to Sweden, sent on by post by a fellow collector.

7. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

She was used yesterday in support of our Easter Dinner.

Boiling up potatoes and green beans. The Radius 10 on the right was used for reducing the Turkey gravy.

1364844014-IMG_2746_meal_prep_opt.jpg

1364844135-IMG_2761_turkey_opt_opt__1_.jpg

1364844144-IMG_2768_Easter_supper_opt.jpg

The electric range works fine and we have power (lol), it's just very enjoyable cooking on a kerosene stove and putting these to work (which they were designed for). It's also legal, nothing against the fire code (yes I checked a long time ago).