primus 535 restoration/fettle

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by mr optimus, Jun 26, 2011.

1. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi stovies some of you may rember the PRIMUS535 i bought at a vintage rally in colchester for £2.00, well today i have just finished restoring it as it was missing both inner and outer burner caps and both pan suports, Gary berniedawg very kindly gave me two pan suports from a homstead mariner, and yesterday the burner caps and graphite packing and cleaning needle arrived from base camp so i was able to finish the restoration.

1309085770-P1010142.gif

1309085807-P1010142.gif

1309085835-P1010144.gif

Here in the above is the stove how i got it you may well rember these pics from the previous post
    you can see the parts that are missing and the condition and the painted lettering on the control knobs has worn away

1309086039-P1010119.gif

Here is the 535 stripped down of its componenets at this stage i have already cleaned the enammel base even though there is a few chips in it it has come up quite nice

1309086187-P1010124.gif

Here is a pic of the pump plunger and what was left of the leather pump cup,when i unscrewed the pump tube from the tank dust came out from the tube what turned out to be the remains of the pump cup

1309086558-P1010120.gif

Here are the regulator knobs and name plate that has been cleaned and the lettering repainted,i used normal enammel paint for this apllied with a very small moderlers brush and the access wiped off with a rag moisened with enammel thinner

1309086742-P1010133.gif

Here are all the parts they have had a soak in citric acid cleaned and polished ready to be assembled

1309086822-P1010121.gif

Another part that was missing was the two spirit cup feed tubes where the meths is poured through to fill the spirit cups.
    i made two from a piece of brass tubing i got from ebay from a person that sells stuff for model making it is half inch in diamter and a thickness of 0.5mm the wire i used is to keep the tube against the burner was made from a standard paper clip, you will notice that one of george's superb heat proof washers has been fitted,only one is required for this stove as it is connected to the tank feed tube by a compresion fitting like on a 8r or 111

1309087152-P1010126.gif

Here are the two inner and outer burner caps that arrived yesterday from base camp

1309087254-P1010132.gif

The above pic is the cleaning needle from base camp, as one of the burners at a previous time had been removed,reading a thread a while back regarding fitting these needles with the five click system Doc mark sugested using this brilliant system of using a pencil with a eraser on the end.i gently pushed the needle all the way into the rubber and pushed the pencil through the feed tube in the burner giving it the five clicks it is such a easy way to fit these needles in the silent burners and with little chance of the needle breaking brilliant idea there Doc mark
    That will have to be all in this instalment as i have reached my maxinum pics second part will follow shortly

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. dday

dday Subscriber

Fantastic Job Brian. Everything came out so very nice :clap: . I cannot wait to see some photos of it all back together. Nice work!!!
    Dan

3. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Dan thank you very much for your comment i am very satisfied with the way it has come out i will finish the second installment very shortly

4. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi there stovies and now on to the second chapter 1309091327-P1010122.gif

When changing or seviceing the NRV on the 535 you first undo the pump knob then unscrew the plated collar then the whole assemly can be slid out from the frame then you unscrew the pump tube from the tank so there is no need to use a nrv wrench to remove the nrv a spanner can be used so there is very little chance the NRV will get damaged and no matter how tight is screwed in there is much more chance in removing it with out damaging it

1309091680-P1010123.gif

1309091709-P1010134.gif

The above pic shows the pump rod has been fitted with a new one of sefaudi's pump cups, and what i like about this systeem is you dont push the pump rod through the top of the pump tube you have to pull it up through the bottom of the pump tube which makes it a lot easier to install the pump rod with a fitted pump cup

1309091913-P1010135.gif

Here in the above is the complete assembaly ready to be mounted to the enammel frame, at this stage i did a pressure test to check for leaks,What i do when fitting the burners to the tank feed tubes is i tighten it up tight and then with the regulators in the closed position pump a good amount of air in the tank.and then test each burner making sure there is no leak where it is joined by the compresion joint to the feed tube and if i see any bubbles i nip it up a bit more that way there is no danger of over tightening then the burners are checked again to make sure there are no leaks all so the whole tank was checked that way as well, A final test was checked by filling the tank with fuel and then pumping a good amount of air into the tank and leaving it for 10_15 mins and then check for leaking fuel

1309092346-P1010136.gif

Here in the above shows the 535 complete and the regulator Knobs with there lettering repainted

1309092442-P1010138.gif

Here is a view from the top showing the new burner caps fitted and the pan suports Gary very kindly gave me they are a bit small for this stove as they came from a homstead mariner out fit but look good on the stove and make it useable.

1309092586-P1010139.gif

Here is a pic of the underside of the tank what i noticed on this model the tank had no markings or makers name on it like the rest i have seen in the reference gallery,there are a couple of small dents on the tank but to remove them i would have to seperate the tank to do a proper job on it and for what they are it was not realy worth it as they are not noticeable

1309092779-P1010140.gif

Here is a pic of her working with both burners on

1309092873-P1010141.gif

Here is a close up of one of the burners working on a high setting

1309092953-P1010143.gif

Here is a pic of the stove set at simmer, this model has a realy good simmer control and another good feature with this design you are not limmited to the size of pot that can be used with out it over heating the tank.i am realy pleased with this stove and would like to thank Gary for donating the pan suports and all the other members who sent me PT's with there offers and help

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Wim

Wim Subscriber

:thumbup: Very nice work you did there Brain! Congrats on yet another fine stove for your collection, I bet it will see some regular use.

Best regards,

Wim

6. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Wim many thanks for your compliment it will be used from time to time i dont realy think it would too good out side though unless a very suitable wind shield would need be used but would be great in a awning or caravan or cabin but i will use it indoors or out side on a wind free day when having a barbequee that can be used for fried onions or any thing else that needs warming

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Wow. Excellently done Brian. The end result is very nice and what bargain you got!

Have a great day!

sam

8. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Sam many thanks for your kind comment i thought i let you know i am having a barbeequee and useing the 502 to fry some onions

9. RonPH

Brian, glad to see the stove up n runnin :thumbup: What a good clean up. Now that will be a nice user.

Ron

10. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Ron many thanks it realy is a good user,and has avery good simmer control i was thinking of repainting the enammel but dont think it will be as good as the original finish

11. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Glad to know that the 502 isn't turning into a museum piece and will be used for practical purposes like a BBQ. I used it myself many, many times - out in the wilderness and at home. Now, the 535 would come in quite handy at a BBQ, I'm thinking. Nice one.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Brian, a classy fettle! These are great stoves. I am sure you will enjoy using it.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

13. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi George thank you very much for your compliement they realy are a great stove and very well made its a shame there are no markings on the tank so theres no acurate way of dating it

14. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Brian. It is unfortunate that Primus seems not to have date-coded these Pr.535 stoves. I would guess that your stove dates from the 1960/70s and is one of the later ones with the Primus R marking on the pump face-plate, and later style of regulator knobs. Have a look at this thread:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/9455

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  15. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Thank you George for your reserch and brilliant information to be honest i thought it may have been a earlier model

16. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Those Homestrand Mariner pan rings look like they were intended for the stove, Brian, and their enamel colour (maroon/brown) co-ordinates with the colour of the knobs really well. Well spotted Gary and good of him to contribute them to the project.

Brilliant restoration with thorough attention to the operational aspect and cosmetic detailing like the re-lining of the lettering on the controls.

John

17. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi John thank you very much for your all ways kind compliements it realy was good of Gary to donate the grates
    Looking back you are right the maroon realy does coordinates with the colour of the Knobs and the name plate, infact the colour looks better than the originals i have seen in the reference gallery.
    They are a little smaller but i have come up with an idea using magnets to keep them steady and central

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  18. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice job, thanks for the pics.

Duane

19. Rick b

Hi Brian. Another great fettle on a very nice stove. I like the way the pump tube comes out easily. :)

20. Stoveuser

Outstanding job :content:

I almost hit the "Report Post" button because you put a lot of pressure on me with this great fettle.

Would love to have one of those as a back up at our cabin.Guess I`d use it more than our propane stove just for the fun of it.

Best regards
    Stoveuser
    Envious