Primus 535 stove found

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by magikbus, Sep 16, 2015.

1. magikbus

I know they aren't rare or even particularly valuable but this one was only $25 so I figure I can restore it to good working order even if it's a little ratty looking and make good use of it in a Coleman 413 case stored under the back seat of my '74 VW Westy.

I do have a question though, when examining it, I found the inner silent caps were different. One has holes in the top, the other hasn't. The one with the holes looks as if it has been worked much harder than the other one. Are the different burners supposed to be different? One hotter than the other or something like that?
    Stan
    48723742_614.jpg

P1010123.JPG

2. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Hi Stan,
    Great price for a Opti 535.
    Optimus was famous for putting holes in the inner cap like that. They also put holes in the burner spigot. I read somewhere here it was to prevent underburn. I have a holed cap in my 111T and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I use a solid cap there instead. Maybe the original cap set for one burner was replaced by a previous owner. Both burners should burn the same. It's not like a Coleman where the secondary works off the primary and therefore not as hot.

Ray

3. Afterburner

That's a nice stove and with nice price. :clap:

I have same model with alcohol burners. Original inner caps in your model are with holes. As Ray I think that other burner has replacement caps.

Have you checked is "the blinding nut" for burner still behind the front panel?

4. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hi Stan, Yeah, there's nothing there for you please send it to me as-is I will double your price and pay shipping :lol:.
    ...but seriously folks, CONGRATS Stan! +1 w/Ray re great price, a steal even. IIRC lowest price approx $76+SH very rough and very incomplete, a rusty basket case and no grates for example. On high-end I DO recall a pristine one sold on ebayUS for $625 in march 2014, so re valuable, in US you might want to rethink that? GC w/flame shot 225/375? If we go w/250 you got it for 10 cents on the dollar, that's my kind of shopping!

It's your baby but I wonder if at 2.2L (3 7/8 pints) does the 535 have largest fuel capacity of Opti's 2 burners, if so there's another plus for you. You've done good. For stovies interested, here's a glimpse at 535's wide tank, thanks Ross:
    http://www.classiccampstoves.com/threads/optimus-no-535-military.9809/
    (does that look like your tank too Stan, or did I goof again?)
    The '76 catalog has Opti No.155 capacity, considerably less at 1.5L ("about 3 pints").
    thx omc

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Great stove. Will you put pics in the Gallery?

Cheers

Tony

6. magikbus

OMC yup it has the big tank. I'll get some pics of it when it gets cleaned up a bit although I'm not going to make it into a shelf queen, this one's going to have to work for a living. I'm seriously thinking of getting a new complete burner as a spare, but at the very least one new set of inner and outer caps. I'll know more when I replace the nrv (man is it easy to get at!) and fire her up for the first time.

Tony, I figure there are a lot of 535s in the reference gallery but I may when I finish up a general cleaning and testing.
    Stan

7. magikbus

P1010125.JPG

I'm not sure which nut you are referring to in the above message.
    Stan

8. magikbus

Here's a picture of the big tank, yes it looks like the one in your pictures. Stan

P1010124.JPG

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Stan, the blanking plug for the fuel feed to a burner is generally held in a clip formed in the angled bracket attached to the frame, just behind the front panel.
    Have a look at the photos I provided in this thread:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-no-535-1955.9455/

There is often a date stamp on this same bracket. which supports the shafts of the regulating knobs under the stove.

Best Regards,
    George.

10. Afterburner

On this picture on between left side burner adjust knob shaft and pump you see the blanking plug that I mean:

https://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/1228429442-bottom-jpg.105936/

That is used in cases if you remove one burner when f.ex it leaks or waits for a replacement burner. With that plug you still can run the stove with one burner. (When they have made these stoves they have thought survivability... :-s)

I agree with NRV maintenance, very easy... Just unscrew the pump and turn out NRV with normal wrench. :clap:

11. magikbus

Ahhh. OK, now I get it. I have always called these "travel caps" but I've been wondering what that little "flap" on the bracket was for. NO, there is no blanking plug (that sounds like a mild expletive as in "get out of here you blanking dirty rat".

Also I cannot yet find any date stamp on the bracket under all the grunge and mild rust.
    Stan

12. magikbus

I've noticed a difference in the face plates on these stoves seems to be related to age. I'm not that concerned when it was made other than to gauge how difficult it might be to acquire parts like the afformentioned "blanking plug". I've just now noticed (I'm obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to details, that it's not an Optimus, but it's a Primus with the indented letters and no indication of company name on the face plate. Is this significant when estimating age? There is no stamping on the frame no matter how much I polish it so that's out.
    Stan
    P1010127.JPG

13. kerophile

Hi, this post should give you pointers to likely date of manufacture:

I reckon yours was one of the last Primus branded 535 stoves and probably dates from the late 1960s.

The Primus 535 stove model was first introduced in the mid-1950s

These earlier, pre 1960 stoves had a different form of pan-holder,and an earlier form of regulator knob than yours, and were usually dated.

From around 1960 a different style of pan-holder and regulator knob , as shown on yours, was adopted. Dating of the stove also appears to have been dropped.

With the formation of the Primus Trading Co. In the mid 1960s we find the progressive introduction of burners with joint Primus/Optimus branding, the dropping of the BAHCO name, and after 1970, the 535 being offered as an Optimus product only.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  14. magikbus

Thanks George. Everything on mine meet the criteria of a later Primus except the control knobs. They are solid red on the face, unlike the pics in the above referenced site.

I've got a few questions about the necessary gaskets but that'll have to wait until I get a millimeter of gunk somehow taken off the tank and burners.

Stan

15. kerophile

Hi Stan, how about asking the Moderators to change the title of this thread to "Primus 535"?

I find that time spent studying the photos in the Reference Gallery is seldom wasted.

There are at least three "late" Primus 535 models in the RG which date from the late 1960s and share the stove features of your stove which I mentioned earlier:

Pan holder style, shape of regulator knob, lack of Manufatureres name on the face-plate of the pump housing:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-535-late-model.15734/

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/well-used-535.16627/

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-535-stove-alcohol.14836/

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

16. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

The 535 was an AB BAHCO design from the 1950s. Up to 1963 these stoves carry the AB BAHCO name on the name plate and feature the genuine Primus #8155 regulating burner. After Optimus took over the design was retained but the burners were now Optimus equivalents of the 8155 (identifiable by the series of 9 holes punched in the inner burner cap and the replacement of the punched out tabs on the burner bowl with half the number of straight-punched holes - same as on the other Optimus silent burners from the same period). Also, the burner knobs were different: the knobs on yours are Optimus, not AB BAHCO parts. Actually, these high-quality stoves are quite valuable. They are also excellent stoves. If you look at Radius catalogues from the 1950s you'll see a very similarly designed 2-burner stove. Before this design was acquired, Optimus had the model 182.

17. magikbus

Done George, thanks for the suggestion.
    Stan

18. magikbus

Thanks for the valuable info abbahco1. I noticed when I removed the two burners, one had a slightly different design. The one on the left is a "Patria" made in Portugal, the one on the right is Made in Sweden but doesn't have a number on it. So obviously the one on the left has been replaced at some time in the past. The Portugese burner has a smaller hole in it.

P1010128.JPG
    Stan

19. kerophile

Hi, all interesting information.
    The first Primus 535 stoves produced in the early 1950s actually had the Manufacturer noted as B A Hjorth:

Shortly afterwards in 1955 , when the Co. was renamed A B BAHCO, this later designation was used on the stoves up to around the time of the formation of the Primus Trading Co. (1962) when the Manufacturers name was dropped from the pump face plate.

We seem to have developed a time-line for these 535 model stoves.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  20. magikbus

Does anyone know when the last 535 was made?

I hope it was after 1974 so I can claim the stove I have as an "authentic" era stove for my Westy when it's on display at VW shows.
    Stan