Primus 54 - 1952 (Nickel Plated)

Discussion in 'Primus No:54' started by mbechtel, Aug 17, 2009.

1. mbechtel

This stove has never been fired. The burner is a roarer, which is puzzling. I'm assuming it may have been switched out for the silent burner, but that fact that it's also nickel plated and never fired raises an eyebrow.

1250548631-1_opt.jpg 1250548640-2_opt.jpg 1250548648-3_opt.jpg 1250548656-4_opt.jpg 1250548663-5_opt.jpg 1250548671-5a_opt.jpg 1250548678-6_opt.jpg 1250548685-7_opt.jpg 1250548692-8_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Interesting burner conundrum! What year is this one?

3. mbechtel

Hi Ross, I don't know what year, there are no markings at all on the bottom.

4. Spiritburner

Bigger conundrum! The tank is definitely pre 1963 so should be marked. The burner is not marked Primus - just Made in Sweden, usually an indicator of a post 1962 burner.

Could it possibly have been plated at a later date & the date stamp obscured?

5. mbechtel

The plot thickens...
    I'm getting old and obviously going blind. There was a date stamp on the bottom and it is very small: AR, 1952. But with a post '62 burner?

6. nagant

very nice

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Matt. you have presented us with a really nice stove...and a bit of a mystery.

The Primus 51 and 54 stoves were introduced as "budget"models and differ from the normal Primus line by having less engraving, steel feet, and the smaller diameter pump tube as an a Pr.210.
    In addition a lot of the parts, such as the reserve cap and pan-rest were extras.

I have posted some photos of a later (1957) Primus 51 on the Site and by that date Primus had modified the filler cap and air-release, introduced brass feet, and adopted the full diameter pump-tube.

Your stove has the earlier features, which would tie in with a date of 1952.
    Perhaps you could try a magnet on the feet to see if they are steel or brass.

The burner assembly, as Ross has pointed out is much later than the stove.

As far as I know the Primus No.51 and 54 were never offered from the factory with a polished Ni-plate finish, although their steel tank sisters did have dull Ni-plate finish as standard.

Best Regards,
    Kerophle.

8. mbechtel

Hi George,
    I tried the magnet and the legs and tank are brass. The only thing that's steel is the flame spreader.
    Hhhhmmmmmmmm.

1250600843-DSC00395_opt.jpg 1250600835-DSC00390_opt.jpg 1250600828-DSC00388_opt.jpg 1250600818-DSC00387_opt.jpg 1250600810-DSC00384_opt.jpg

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Matt,

VERY nice stove!! Congrats on scoring it, and well done! To me, this stove deserves a place of honor in your collection, and were it mine, it would remain unfired, without question!! As to the burner, I have found many stoves on which the burners had been swapped out, over the years. That's one of the neat things about old stoves, to me, and a definite plus. If a burner gets totally knackered, no problem! Just replace it with a new one. Don't like the roarer that came with your stove? No problem! Just replace it with a nice silent burner! Fun, huh?!!

Now, as your stove has remained unfired, I am intrigued as to how this burner came to live on your stove. But, as Kerophile has often said, "Aren't Stoves Fascinating"!?! Indeed!! And, your nice stove is a wonderful case in point! Thanks for sharing it with us, and enjoy it. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. mbechtel

Hi Doc, you're right, they are fun!

Ok Gentlemen, mystery solved....
    I purchased this stove off Ebay. I noticed when I opened it up, there was a nice letter from the seller and a bunch of other goodies like prickers, a spirit bottle, a spare NRV (complete), old original instruction manual, washers, parts lists and price sheets, etc. There was also a photocopy of the business card. This stove was actually listed by the fine folks at A&H Campstoves! I wrote them a letter asking if they knew more about it's origin and history. Today I got a reply:

Hi Matt,
    I been having A&H over 20 years, we are the service center for Primus as well. many years ago Primus sent this to me as a gift, Nickle stoves are very very rare, I have books from Primus with all old stoves, I'll look it up for you,after I get A&H orders out. I also have Primus Nickel 100
    & Optimus no.3 Heater brass ,no.96 no.5 I'll be listing soon. I'll get back to you later
    Shirlene

I have a feeling their auctions are going to be followed closely!

After reading their response, I'm calling this stove original, as it came from Primus in it's present configuration. Not a standard model of course....not sure how to classify it. Alot of companies do this sort of thing for their customers as gifts and perks. I wonder if there are any more out there?

Now I just have to get the blue/green junk out of the tank.

Don't worry Doc, this stove will NEVER be lit!
    I have enough 3 leggers to play with if I get bored. :lol:

11. Spiritburner

Nice to have the back-story! It a Primus 54 anyway up. Coincidently I also have a 1955 Primus 54 with roarer burner. Stove is unlit. It was supplied to the 1955–58 Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition of Edmund Hillary & Vivian Fuchs. Not sure why they weren't just supplied with 51's. Maybe a shortage of stock so change the burner & problem solved?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Matt,

Well done!! As you say, Bob and Shirlene, of A&H, are top notch folks, and I trust them, completely. Your stove is a very special, One of a kind, as it came from them!! Fantastic, and sincere congrats on owning something so very special!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

Ross, your stove, too, is a part of real, and very imporant history!! Man, what a fantastic stove to own!!! I am impressed, and very happy for you, and for Matt, that something so neat would be preserved by two Gentlement such as yourselves!! Oh, yeah!!!!!!!! :D/ :D/ :clap: :clap: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. mbechtel

Thanks Doc!
    Shirlene was very nice when I called long ago, trying to get my very first non-Coleman stove working. It was an old Svea 123, and I remember asking her how to solve a particular problem,(fire shooting out of the relief valve in the tank lid during NORMAL operation to be exact). A couple of new parts and I was on my way! This was before I discovered this site. Nice folks for sure!

Ross, that 54 sounds fascinating! I love that kind of history. Now THAT stove has a pedigree!
    Are there pictures of it somewhere? I'd love to see it!

Now that I know what this stove is and that it's relatively special, I think some much nicer pictures are in order.
    I'll get working on that.

14. mbechtel

1252860764-DSC00406_opt.jpg 1252860772-DSC00411_opt.jpg