Primus 57 1934

Discussion in 'Primus No:57' started by Dutchmike, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Dutchmike

What came up unexpectedly from the depths of the dutch larder is this dented but wellknown shape of a Primus tank.

1261519127-Primus_57_tank.jpg

If the SRG of CCS is a yardstick - and by now I think it has considerable authority - then this No. 57 is a rather unknown niece in the Primus family.
    Shown in a late 30's brochure it was supposed to be fitted with the rather enigmatic 4047 burner and meant as a heater / cooker combination.
    That would call for a build-in cleaning needle, actuated by a rack-and-pinion set in the detachable base, as is depicted there.

To my surprise this tank shows a tapered female connector, while the production code says 'Y' on the bottom. This to my mind makes it a very early production of the changed connecting set-up meant to reduce costs and seen on more models usualy after 1935.
    This nickled tank lacks a rather unique male connector, as the more known No.110 model heater has that connector soldered onto it's tank, and
    I am not sure this item is identical to the item on the 107 model.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Mike, a nice and relatively rare stove, or part stove. It would be great if we could get it operating again.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. Dutchmike

Hello George,

I have some plans to do just that, based on a loose 4047 burner, and a 110 donor, from which I need to extract the connector cum rack and pinion.

Regards, Mike

4. mbechtel

Hi Mike,
    Did you ever get this stove up and running? I see it's one of the Sport models Primus put out.

1285136000-1246697972-027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Dutchmike

Hello Matt, no I have not as yet. But this tank was 'in my way' tonight and it got me to have another look here, where I found your message. You point something out I did not realise: that the 57 was also offered in a Sports Outfit. With only a copy of a 1932-ish brochure, the 57 is not mentoned there, so I guess 'your' brochure is from late 30's?
    Anyway, still have to make up a connector cum needle excentic as indicated. Will show when ready.
    Regards, Mike