Primus 71E, y1957 Non SRV Cap but No fixed Safety wire

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Yun124, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

Hello all,
    Recently I've got another 71E, the stove tank has AT (referring the dating chart, year 1954)
    The stove tank doesn't have the soldered pin wire, but the cap is not the SRV integrated one.
    I don't know this cap was originally equipped, seems from other Stove but no information I have, as a newbie...
    primus 71E AT (6).jpg

Anyway the thread is same as recent(!) stoves so can be replaced with the current SRV caps.
    primus 71E AT (2).jpg

Some others;
    primus 71E AT (5).jpg primus 71E AT (4).jpg primus 71E AT (3).jpg

The Dome shaped cap is not compatible, thread difference. (right one: AL, year 1947)
    primus 71E AT (1).jpg

Take care!
    Yun

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2021
  2. Dutchmike

That's interesting, Yun! I have not realised Primus increased the diameter of the filler opening in the later years. I went to check my last two 71 models, one AO and one AS marked. And indeed, the older has the smaller filler opening, the younger a wider opening, with a cap with integrated safety valve. Funny, it never occurred to me, but once again, one learns everyday! Thank you for posting, Mike

3. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

Dear Mr. @Dutchmike,
    Yes, the elder one had had smaller diameter but I still don't know about some other variation, not-integrated SRV-caps, their sizes.
    Maybe they're the same as domed cap, but not sure, because I don't have references.
    I've only AT& AL& recent Primus labelled version.
    How about your elder one? Domed cap or another type like Flat-cap without srv?
    Thanks.

4. Dutchmike

Here you go, Yun.

DSCN4645.JPG

As far as I know, these little stoves have a solid cap in combination with a safety 'spike', or a (later) cap with a safety valve and thus, no 'spike' soldered into the tank.
    The flat cap without a safety valve as what you have, is seen on the domestic models with a side tank, like a Primus 507.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Can we assume that Primus did not want the wrong cap put on the wrong stove? Changing the filler would be a safe move.

6. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

Hello Mr. @Dutchmike , ah yes so you're one is the domed cap as mine!
    Referring the above post in past, I'd like to know if the other 2 types, A & B, would be compatible with C - domed cap.
    Yes!! Regarding the flat non-srv cap, thanks!! as you told it might be taken from Primus 507 or similar. It's really not ok to be used for those 71 founts which are not having Fixed safety pin, so I'll replace with the recent SRV cap for my safety, thanks once again about your advice!

Hello Mr. @snwcmpr , I think so - it's a reasonable inference.
    Also now I can only do another inference - the old type non-srv caps (at least 3 types A-B-C from the photo of Fettlebox) would have the same thread, and size... but still don't know.

7. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

@Yun
    Nothing from Ross. So you just have a '54 P71 wrong / missing filler cap.
    ------------------

re A-B-C (and D, E etc) Primus 71 thread and size I've just provided detail here.
    Short answer, thread and size:
    A&B only match,
    C has no match, and
    D&E only match.

I understand and sorry if translation makes difficulty, in link that is all i've got.

8. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

Dear @OMC , very helpful and clear!
    Yes I've year 1954 AT with a wrong cap from another Primus stove, and AL & recent one. Your advice is really perfect, and I thank you.