Primus 96 1916 vaporiser hole

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Nickyboy, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Nickyboy

Nickyboy United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi All,
    I'm new to the site, have been collecting stoves for a few months, like to use in the field on a forage, hopelessly nostalgic for times past and just love the simple but amazing technology that converts liquid to gas! So I have a No. 96 from 1916, lovely looking but vaporiser hole is blocked and may need drilling out, cannot be pricked. Can anyone advise on size of drill bit and if it's possible to procure such a small bit? I don't think I will use this in the field but would love to get it going and know that it's functioning. Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome Nicky Boy,
    Any idea what's blocking the hole? If it's mineral build up you might try putting the lipstick burner in vinegar for a short soak.

Small dill bits are available but are delicate. If you're just opening up the hole you could likely do so by turning the bit with your by hand.

Another way of going about it:
    Primus 96 lipstick

@presscall developed an elegant solution.

The 1916 model 96 is a great stove! Good luck.

Cheers, Jerry

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Nickyboy

Welcome.

The jet is 0.23mm. A high e steel guitar string is a good pricker. You could sharpen the point to clear the hole.

@Metropolitantrout’s advice about a short soak in vinegar is good. Also, I’d you have an ultrasonic cleaner that would be useful. Blast the inside with carburettor cleaner if you have some.

Cheers

Tony

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I had one or maybe a regular jet and easily poked a pricker thru after a good soak in hot vinegar.
    Duane

5. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS

6. Nickyboy

Hi, no idea what's blocking, but it's really solid. I have managed to get in a teeny way with regular pricker but resistance is too strong to get in any further. What's the craic with the hot vinegar suggestions? Sounds interesting, what's the science here chaps?
    Thanks, looks like drilling is a no go?

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Nickyboy

1. The vinegar or carburettor cleaner is to break up the carbon bonds.

2. The trouble with drilling is to keep the jet 0.23mm and not enlarge it.

3. Don’t poke something down there that you don’t know the diameter of.

Tony

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Are you using a correct pricker? The size of the N°96s jet hole is approx. .23mm, most prickers one can find are for the slightly larger .32mm jet. Trying to clear a .23mm jet with a .32mm pricker spells disaster!

Oh, and welcome on board! The N°96 type of stoves are amongst my favourite ones, great little gems!

Wim

9. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Nickyboy Getting just the vaporiser tip up to red heat - wrapping the base with folded strips of kitchen roll paper saturated with water - may do the trick.

After that procedure grip a pricker wire in small-jawed pliers to leave just a couple of millimetres projecting and prick the jet that way. It prevents the 0.23mm pricker flexing if applied ‘usual length’.

John

10. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

Don't forget to pull the wire gauze from the tube before working on it.

Tom

11. Lennart F Sweden

As @presscall say - most "solid blocked" jets I have confronted opened up while heating the tip - tar needs just about deep fryer temp while pure coke need some red glow to loosen - many times it works to have it attached and pump up a slight pressure before heating, then the airstream is clearly visible through the flame when it opens up.
    When the jet is open, it's time for regular cleaning and de-coking.

12. Nickyboy

I'm concerned about the pricker diameter business. How can I ensure I have compatible prickers without super accurate verniers or similar? I have various prickers, some NOS some new and some just old.... I suppose it's possible that my pricker is just too wide?!?!

13. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Nickyboy you are right to be worried.

The vast majority of classic stoves have a jet aperture of 0.32 mm and a cross-sectional area twice that of the jet aperture used in your No.96 stove (0.23mm diameter).

If you use a 0.32mm diameter wire pricker to clear the jet of No.96 stove you will enlarge the hole and effectively write-off the vaporiser of your stove.

Beg, borrow or otherwise acquire a correct diameter pricker-wire before trying any pricker with an unknown wire diameter.

@Tony Press advised you correctly in an earlier response:

“The jet is 0.23mm. A high e steel guitar string is a good pricker. You could sharpen the point to clear the hole.”

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

14. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

What pricker #'s do you have? I can look at my 96 collection and see if they match. There are a few brands with different #'s.
    Duane

15. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

There maybe a pricker snapped off and jammed
    In the hole already pull the gauze out from inside the tube if there is any and shine a light in and have a look then maybe try the heating method recommended by @presscall ?
    I would not try drilling it out personally.
    Where are you in the UK?
    Good luck

Nick

16. Lennart F Sweden

At fogas.se there is a good list of prickers matching stoves. RENSNÅL 3 ST

Here is a screenprint cutout of the list.
    Rensnålar kök.jpg

Typ2 fits the small ones - stoves left and old numbers right - new number 2451.

17. Nickyboy

Hi I did think of this already but couldn't really see anything once the gauze was out. The hole is stuck fast and feels mechanical rather than any build up. I'm near Ipswich.

18. Nickyboy

Hi again,
    So I managed to clear the vaporiser hole but now as I am able to test, it won't hold pressure. I'm guessing it's the NRV which I have not needed to replace on any other stoves. Any advice appreciated for this operation on a 1916 no.96 please sto e lovers everywhere!
    Thanks for all the sage comments so far.

19. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

You need a NRV tool now. Check on auction sites. I've found this model can have the most stubborn stuck NRV's, so normal tools may never work. I finally was able to get a specialized tool to remove really stuck ones.
    Duane

20. Nickyboy

Thanks, have established a leak at the NRV with a water test. Have ordered washers and seals from the super helpful guy at Fettlebox. Who knows, I may be able to post a picture of it working at some point!!!! Thanks all