Primus 96 fuel

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by haknuts, Aug 18, 2017.

1. haknuts

I was fettling with my two P96's tonight. Finished the first one, filled and fired it up. BEAUTIFUL blue pattern, very satisfied. But I had a sense something was not right. I had been fiddling with my P71 and 8R the other night, and filling the P96 I had grabbed the white gas container.

Well, as said, worked like a charm the 60-some sec it took for me to realise what I had done...

Anyone tried this on purpose? What do you think are the dangers compared to its white-gas sisters?

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@haknuts
    How did you shut down your stove?

You ask what the dangers are, well one is certainly that in opening the air valve as you would to shut down the burner with kerosene in the tank, with gasoline in there the vapours could easily ignite when they meet the burner flame and a fireball could have resulted.

I guess you were lucky.

John

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @haknuts , I am glad that you survived the fuelling error.
    Have a look at this:

4. haknuts

@presscall Thats how yes,while huffing and puffing in fear of life. Could/should possibly have drowned it instead.
    Anw, as the thing burned so lovely, someone should take the challenge to incorporate a miniature regulating valve into the lipstick :-)

5. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

Yes - This construction is not for "auto fuel"
    But
    - I have no choise and "i'am playing with fire"
    -------
    depressing tank - it is not "big problem"
    i need "heat shield" - and slowly it could be done

most important is - burner construction
    cast iron plate - is not mounted permanently
    and it is real danger

6. haknuts

@gieorgijewski Now that is a sobering saying: "i have no choice". I guess this must mean you have no way to get hold of kerosene and take your chances with unleaded gasoline. So then in less fortunate parts of the world, safety is a luxury?
    Is your use hiking or household-related?
    Haavar

7. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

I am living on lowlands, mostly forest area with one big river.
    This is my "outdor" terrain.
    "96" as litlle "jevellery" stove - usually is as 3-rd stove.
    Not for main cooking.
    If we could we cookin on open fire.
    30 years ago - we - in Poland - lost official and popular system of kero - distribution.
    Btw - EU - destroyed - country normalisation of "kero".
    Now - was many "cleaners" with "nafta" in the name - but it doesnt works. Economic - prices was 4x then autofuel.
    ---------------
    I uderstand - stove constructions and possibilities - but in thats area - We have not cheap, easy to buy - "kero".
    Thats why - We - have many "auto fuel" stove.

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

With so many stoves designed for gas I do not see a need to try making a 96 run on gas.
    I think you were lucky.

9. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

"96" - is not safe - especially on gas
    up from "210" - needs some knowlege, attention
    bigger with regulated burner - with working NRV - fully safe at home too
    -------------
    I was lucky "only first time" - after that - experienced
    ----------------
    :) my "96" needs to be burned too...

10. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Wasn't there a stove where the stove vented through a tube feeding into the burner?

Murph

11. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Ah, yes, that would be the original Pyro. Brilliant, solidly made, stoves; but definitely paraffin only. "Solidly made", I almost was going to say 'bomb proof', but then experimenting to see how even a Pyro might react to having petrol for fuel would not be something to want to risk!

12. snwcmpr

Hi gieorgijewski, I do not understand your meaning. :)

13. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

I think the best way to shut down would have been to put lots of cold (or ice water) water on the tank, to lower the fuel vapour pressure in the tank. The flame would then get smaller and smaller, and then you put cold water on the flame, to put it out. Bad news if you have a leaky NRV on your pump.

Safer than releasing pressure on the air -release valve; highly dangerous!

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

14. zuludog

Years ago, when I was fitter & braver, and went camping in winter, sub - zero conditions I would add about 5% petrol to the paraffin fuel for my Optimus 96; as did a friend with his (or was his a Primus?)
    We reckoned this addition made the paraffin mixture easier to vaporise & burn, and never had any problems

Did it or didn't it? Well we didn't exactly do any rigorous testing or comparisons, but it seemed to do the trick

15. haknuts

Venting a steaming P96 on white-gas is (was) for sure a risky endaveour, and not soemthing I would like to repeat (notetoself).

However, I get @gieorgijewski argument, that when the risks are known and you are prepared, they will be reduced.
    Anyone that do not understand and are able to deal With the risks involved in using any canister or Liquid fuel stove expose themselves and their sorroundings tho life threatening dangers. The numerous re-filling accidents involving the simplest alchohol burners for camping, table-fondues and ditto wall-Mount fireplaces should remind us about this. Obviously, they are the result of lack of knowledge.

@SimonFoxxx approach seems fine, however - in my case of mixing fuelcanisters - it was impossible to lean back and thorough consider all options while I was Wondering if the thing would explode in the Next couple of Seconds.

As @snwcmpr Points out, there are plenty white-gas stoves to be had where there is a shortage of kero.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, All,

This topic comes up, in one form, or another, now and then, and my answer is always the same: Don't use auto fuel, or Coleman Fuel, in paraffin stoves unless the stoves have a regulated burner!!!! If I were in the position of the OP, I know my 96 types of stoves would "understand", and not wish to cause me harm, or worse! ;) I would use gasoline in stoves that were designed for it, and thus are far safer than using stove that were NOT designed for it. Of course, others can, and have, made a different decision, and I wish them all of God's Blessings, that no harm comes to them and their families. Desperate measures might call for another way of doing things, and that is a different kettle of fish, me thinks. But, doing it for fun, or because no kero is available, does not meet that level of need, IMHO. I wonder if it might be possible to travel to another area, where kerosene is readily available, and thereby secure the proper fuel? My heart goes out to the OP, and I, for one, and not a fan of the EU, and their bully-boy ways, and never have been. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who wishes he could fill a box with kerosene and send it to the OP, to help out. But, of course, it's probably illegal to do something like that, in the EU....

17. snwcmpr

I have added 10% white gas to alcohol to boost the heat.
    I found in temperate weather it is not needed. It did in fact reduce boil times, but unless cold I would not do it again, safe as it is.

18. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

This is written only To Be Sure:
    most important - danger came from compilation - burner construction and fuel
    - You could not to be prepared for accidentaly stove overturn...
    only modification - solid mounting plate to the burner

19. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I, too, have added 10-15% white gas to kero for deep winter use, but this is just me and I make no representation or recommendation.

I know of an instance of a Mexican bookbinder that I reported on years ago who used white gas in two Svea 106s for glue making for years without incident.

If I was in a survival situation and that was what was available, I'd do it without hesitation. I'd hold a barrier between the burner and airscrew when venting.

That said, it's very unsafe. Most times; no problem. Then, real disaster.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  20. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

A little party trick when I was involved with scouts was to put white gas in an open bowl then extinguish a lighted match in it. Another trick was demonstrating why you dont use water to put out fuel fires. I gave up that trick when one day it was burning a little hotter and the fireball took away all my facial hair. It was good though everything I ate for the next week tasted like bbq food