Primus 96 seal kit washer placement

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Gino, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Gino United Kingdom

Good evening all,

I received the new washer kit today for my stove. The majority of the bits were self explanatory, one thing I wasn’t sure about was a washer for the underside of the non return valve.
    There wasn’t one fitted to the underside when I stripped it, a black washer in the kit appeared to fit, however, once fitted there appeared to be quite a bit of ‘squasage’ before it nipped up. It fired up great and held pressure.
    Should it have a seal in there or could the seal which appeared to fit be for another similar model of stove?

Also, how many pumps is the recommended normally?

Many thanks in advance,
    Gino.

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

The ‘black’ washer you refer to is made of lead I think? ‘96’ stoves didn’t tend to have a washer fitted there but in my experience they present most cases of difficult-to-remove NRV’s, so it’s a good idea to fit one. It’s been said that the small fuel capacity results in hotter fuel and greater likelihood of NRV threads seizing up.

A ‘96’ will often fire up (air screw closed) with just the heat from the priming charge without pumping and just a few pump strokes will be sufficient. Quantity of fuel in the tank and whether you want a simmering or high heat flame are variables. The tank’s robust and won’t over-pressurise. If there’s much resistance pumping that’s probably more than enough for maximum burner output.

John

3. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Glad to hear it's running well. You opted for the black plastic hdpe nrv seal. They work & last well. You've fitted it perfectly by the sounds of things. :thumbup:

4. Gino United Kingdom

Many thanks, yes it was a black non metallic type washer, glad to know it’s in the right place!
    Thanks again,
    Gino.

5. Lennart F Sweden

1-3 pump strokes on Radius 20(similar to Primus 96) and 1-5 on the double size tank of Primus 97 and Radius 21 is my opinion.

6. afoton

There is no normally. It depends on how mcuh room is left in the tanks, and it depends on how much power you want. More pressure, more power. Make your own experience with pumping, lower the pressure with the air screw, pumping again and so on. Listening to the stove, feel the restistance from the pump, learn you own stove.
    You will find out the one that use only 5 pumps, do not get much power from his stoves.