Primus and Optimus, 4-bangers!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Doc Mark, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Lads,

May I ask, who amongst us has either a Primus, or Optimus, 4-burner stove? If you have one, would you please post some photos of yours, and also any information that you may have on hand? I know that some of you have versions of these stoves, but cannot recall who has posted photos of them. Many thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. mazen

Hi Doc
    I nave one Optimus with 4 burner Ihavnot any photos but i can make same if you
    want, I think mine is a late 60 or an early 70. http://

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Mazen,

Many thanks for your offer to take a few photos of your Optimus 4-burner. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd love to see it. I'm sure others would, too. Thanks, again, and I'll look forward to seeing your neat stove, at your convenience. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Guys and Gals,

Here is a photo that Steelman posted, of one of our Taiwanese Brothers, tfcsimon, with his Optimus 510.

Steelman, is tfcsimon a member of CCS? If not, I would appreciate your asking him his thoughts on his Optimus 510.

Here are a few more shots of tfcsimon's Optimus 510, doing what it does best! Steelman, thanks for posting these photos in your report about the first Taiwanese Classic Stove Gathering! Very nice!

DSC05359.jpg

post-46144-4.jpg

DSC05385.jpg

Anyone else have one of these, either by Optimus, or Primus? Love to see some shots of it, and also know more about them. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Rich_S

Awesome looking stove. How do you put a pot on them though and what is the advantage of 4 burners in such close proximity? What were these stoves originally designed for?

6. oops56

I think you put it under cast iron bath tub :lol: :lol:

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Rich,

I think that you used a frame, under which you placed the large 4-burners. These were industrial goodies, for hospitals, or other such uses. According to the Optimus catalog, their 510 will boil 11 GALLONS of water, in 20-25 minutes!! That is SOME heat, Man!! I may have a line on one, and want to learn more about them. Now, is really not a good time for me to be spending the coin on one. But, as I've never seen one "in the wild", here in the States, I figure I'd better tighten my jock and pony up the coin. I'll let you know how it turns out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. Rich_S

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Rich,

Well said, Brother, well said!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: INDEED!!

Doc

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Lads and Lasses,

Thus far, only Mazen has jumped in on this one. Is he the only one who owns a four-burner Optimus, or Primus stove??? Hard to believe....I figured, for sure, some of our Brit Brothers would have one of these Big Boys! OK, now about anyone with 3-burner Optimus, or Primus, stoves? There is very little info out there on these Hummers, and I'd really like to learn something more, before I dig deep into my pockets and dig out the change for the one I've found. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

If I don't hear back this morning, then I guess I'm going to take the plunge and hope for the best. Photos to follow....... Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (Hopeful, giddy, excited, and well, scared!!!) ;) :shock: 8) :shock: :lol: ;)

11. Magnus Thilander

Hi Doc!

I'll see if I can get some photos of a four-burner stove for you!

'Why don't you want to see some pictures of some Primus one-burner stoves??? :lol:

Best Regards,
    Magnus

12. steelman

YES! tfcsimon is ccs members.. and optimus 510 is his Collections ..

13. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Hi Mark

Not one in my collection, unfortunately, but I can provide this page of a Primus catalogue which came to me courtesy of Shagratork :

Fourburnerpage.jpg

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate in snapping it up . . . . they are also rare over here.

Regards

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Lads, and Lasses,

Keith, many thanks for that info, and Magnus, too! After reading your thoughts, Keith, I went ahead and bought that stove, and even though it's really a horrible time for me to be spending money, I am quite glad that I did so!!

What I bought is a Primus 744. Here are some photos of it:

DSCN4132.jpg

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

The sellers allowed me to negotiate the price, just a bit, which save me a nice chunk of coin, though they wanted to charge what I considered an exhorbitant amount for UPS shipping!! However, a fine Stove Brother came to the rescue, and my "new" old Primus 4-burner should be on it's way to me tomorrow, for less than half of what the sellers wanted to charge me!! Brother Tim, from Colorado, is driving out to pick up my 744 tomorrow, and will ship it to me by Priority Post, tomorrow, as well. I should have it in just a few days, and look forward to giving it the "once over", and seeing it if needs anything. This one will definitely have to be fired up, at least once, "just because"!!! ;) 8) :D :D :D

A tip of the tricorner hat to Brother Lance, too, as he's the one who tipped me off to this Old Timer!! Thanks, to both Tim and Lance, for their help on this deal, and to those of you who jumped in with info and advice!! Much appreciated, Lads, and it goes without saying, I'm happy to do the same for you, ANY time!!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. lant-ern

Good luck with the new stove Doc,it's a beauty :) .There is a 4 burner on Ebay now 250180971720, it's a 510 and the price is higher than the model number.You may need to have an armed gaurd deliver it LOL.

Ernie

16. brassnipplekey

Dribble x4 Nice one Doc :D

Nick

17. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Bugger the expense,
    You know it makes sense!

Burn on, Mark! :)

18. Rich_S

The one on eBay has now reached $700, with over a day left in the auction.

19. mazen

Hi Doc
    We shall see if the photos caming up i am not so shore of this. If they coming up is it
    Optimus 510 with friends. The stove to the left is a Sivert With 3 diffrent burners
    The stove to the rigth is a BA Hjort and the little one is a Primus No 1.The 4-Banger
    is unesed, the aders need a little work
    Best Regards
    Anders

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

20. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Great stove, Doc!!

I have a mint Monitor three-burner and a huge Monitor single burner, but don't have a four-burner.
    I know Henry has one. There were photos of it in the Newark 2006 meet, but I can no longer find them on the site. Maybe Henry will oblige.

Anyway, we are all looking forward to seeing four cherry-reds! |imgRemoved|