Primus Easyfuel on white gas?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by haknuts, Jun 11, 2018.

1. haknuts

Is it plausible that the Primusw Easyfuel, or any other hose canister burner with a pre-heat loop could burn white-gas?

ef2.jpg

2. Afterburner

Trangia gas canister burner burns white gas fine after pre-heating. There is no meths cup so I just poured meths over & around the burner and fired it up. Piezo might not like pre-heating with my method so from Easyfuel it might be good idea to remove it before meths pre-heating.

3. haknuts

Excellent @Afterburner! Will give it a try when the stove arrives. A possible fuel flexible and cheapish way to sound of silence.

4. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@haknuts

First thing is maybe, the jet is a .40mm, at least on my version. You would then need to find a .37mm or .35mm jet from the Omni-fuel or Himalaya MFS/VFS first.

Then I would suggest you remove the spring and heat shield and add a priming pad. The burner unscrews.

Mike

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Or simply add a wick to absorb the alcohol. Carbon felt or wood stove gasket.

6. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

that is a good idea - I have the stove shown but with a different burner top - I will give it a go later

7. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

goes good

1primus.jpg
    top of the burner was changed by the previous owner - not the foggiest why

11primus.jpg

this is the very first time I have used that primus pump - feels very solid compared to the usual plastic stuff
    when it cools down I will try it with the roarer

scorchio.jpg
    it's a flippin' scorcher! this bitza last run on butane but not that good

scorchio2.jpg

8. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

I took a look at the multi fuel version (with a roarer burner) - it uses the same jet for butane and white gas and a smaller jet for kero
    stamped 35 and 28 respectively
    the jet in the butane stove is stamped 40 - if that means anything to anyone - means nothing to me!

9. Afterburner

I am not sure if Easyfuel has a steel wire inside of the fuel tube. In my DIY regulated burner test project https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/making-regulated-silent-burner.26890/ I noted that steel wire inside of the fuel tube would be necessary to reduce the volume of the fuel feed tube. That reduces the amount of boiling fuel in fuel feed tube.

Without steel wire inside of the fuel feed tube burner 'farted' :lol: back to fuel bottle because too much boiling fuel in fuel feed tube increased pressure and extra pressure exceeded the pressure in fuel bottle.

10. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

I can report that the easy fuel stove (in my pics above) does not have a wire in the generator as it is intended for butane only - but the multi fuel does have a wire - no shaker needle though

11. haknuts

So @Rickybob, All your images shows the Easyfuel on whitegas with a 0.4jet?
    I belive most pure canister stoves typically has a 0.4, whilst white gas/canister duos comprimizes on a somewhat smaller one - i.e. 0.37. Anw - seems promising. Wire noted.

12. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

yes - easy fuel with jet marked 40 - no cleaning wire and in the first two pictures, most of the original burner

13. Petromark United States

If you obtain a cleaning wire to use on the Easy Fuel, you will also need to obtain a new fuel hose. The Easy Fuel has the Omnifuel type hose. The older Multifuel and Varifuel hoses have an extended brass piece on them that allows them to be screwed over the cleaning wire.

14. Lars F Norway

I have been struggling with the Easyfuel and inverted canister operation - resulting in bursts. I contacted Primus, and they thought it was due to insufficient heating, although I stated 2 minutes of regular canister operation first. So apparently they had no idea about the cleaning wire - which is dissapointing.
    Anyways, the Easyfuel I have is an earlier model which indeed comes with the extended brass piece, but is still lacking the wire.
    I tried ordering it, but Primus received the package in return due to insufficient customs declarations. As the cleaning wire is just a regular steel wire, I thought to create one myself. So does anyone know the dimensions (length & diameter) of the Primus Himalaya/Varifuel cleaning wire (part# 730610)?