Primus grasshopper backpack stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Groundhog, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Groundhog United States

I have a new Primus grasshopper stove that i purchased in the 1970’s but have kept in my survival kit. I have one container of butane that has only been used to test the stove. I have had problems finding a butane or isobutane tank to fit and have spoken to Primus and Gas One about options to find a fuel tank to fit or something to adapt. Any suggestions or do i keep this stove as a relic. Any help will be appreciated

2. Afterburner

3. Lennart F Sweden

I think all US butane grasshoppers had the Lindal valve, today most cylinders suitable for them are the "weed burner" ones - slightly taller but fits and works despite touching the ground.
    Propane grasshoppers were sold in US first with Primus valve rechargeable cylinders and later with the 1" valve US disposable cylinders.
    The Primus 4 digit model number would tell fuel- valve- and canister connection- type of your grasshopper or any other Primus gas stove.

4. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I had one...I think I used it with cheapy butane canisters and a china adapter.

5. Groundhog United States

Thank you. This was more information than i could obtain from Primus or Gas One. The canister # is the same on the butane only canister that i have. I am surprised that there is not any available thru my inquiries in the US

6. Groundhog United States

It is a Lindal connection but the # is a 5 digit 22533 butane on the leg. Could you please explain what and where i may find a “weed burner” canister and is it butane only or isobutane? Thanks

7. Lennart F Sweden

The canisters today use to be butane with 20-30% propane or sometimes some isobutane replacing part of the propane - making them less sensitive to low temps but still works nearly as pure butane.
    I don't know the US market - maybe it's easier for you to find one of those adapters seen on ebay to use a 1" disposable, as they could be found in Europe with butane for the price of gold I think they should be around in the US:-k

That 5 digit number is quite obscure and indicates it is some of a "US special" - maybe butane version of the propane grasshopper.

8. Groundhog United States

Thanks Already looking at the Lindal to bayonet adapter which would allow me to use the narrower diameter canister to fit in the bonnet

9. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

10. Groundhog United States

Murph. I am not sure on how i would modify my canister on/off to a separate valve and to a Kovea adapter. I was just going to order an adapter and still use the original bonnet to turn on/off the gas as I turn it rather than turning thru the canister and increasing the chance of a gas leak

11. Lennart F Sweden

The butane "twisters" should not be twisted by or rested on the canister according to the instructions - just twisted by the bonnet and resting on the fixed leg.
    The propane grasshoppers use the canister as fixed leg and the early ones operates the valve by twisting the canister.
    All late grasshoppers have conventional valve with turning knob.