Primus Himalaya hose

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by dwarfnebula, Aug 24, 2019.

1. dwarfnebula United States

After several years of storage I dug out my old 3278 Himalaya to investigate the notion of adapting it to my trangia kit. Well I guess I always worried a little about the flex hose between the pump and burner, as it is getting up there in the years and I can’t see the rubber condition for the stainless steel braid. As I was inspecting it I noticed some rubbery schmoo coming through the braid, it’s flexible and clear like caulk. I can’t recall if it was always like that but I’m a bit nervous to use it. The primus USA website is rubbish and I can’t find a supplier for a replacement hose in the states. Any suggestions? I put in a call to brunton support but got no reply yet.

Anyone ever replace such a hose? Could use a stainless braided fuel line for a race car I suppose, if I can find the right size. CCF20E3C-D0B5-49F5-8140-EE287936A2C3.jpeg 87B1A8D7-C046-4E8A-8316-A3CF200F6810.jpeg

2. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Trust your instincts. If it looks deteriorated., it probably is. Can you use a hosefor an Ominfuel, or Omnilite?
    Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

3. dwarfnebula United States

Unfortunately the Omni... hose has a different connection to the pump. I believe the stove end can be made to work with some effort but I’d like to keep it as original as is practical. This pump uses almost no plastic which is a nice touch I think.

4. Lennart F Sweden

That is a common low pressure fuel line pressing used on lots of older diesel heaters etcetera - many hydraulic hose shops have fuel hose in stock(should be for engine or heater mounting) and do the pressing.
    The press muffs are very easy to open like a tulip so you can pull the hose from the nipple and it works with a heat and bend resistant fuel hose with GOOD QUALITY clamps.
    If you really need to have brass plated press muffs you may check a caravan workshop as they use to work on LPG installations and may use that style of muffs.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  5. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@dwarfnebula

That looks like silicon pump lubricant to me. Primus USA would not carry that hose anyway it's too old. There were some for sale on ebay earlier this year but they are out of stock. If the hose was actually bad which I doubt you could update to an ergo pump and fuel line. I have never had a problem with Primus USA but their website has had issues depending on your browser. The Himalaya hose is different at the stove end because of the cleaning cable and an Omnifuel hose won't fit.

Mike