Primus N°2 1957

Discussion in 'Primus No:2' started by Tracer, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Tracer

Tracer Subscriber

Well, second attempt, my first post disappeared completely.

When I joined this forum a few weeks ago, I couldn’t think there were so many beautiful stoves.
    I already did have some stoves, mostly hiking stoves, Trangia 25 & 27, Svea 123, Optimus Nova+, Phoebus 625 ect.
    But then I noticed the household stoves and I knew, a purchase would follow.
    I searched the forum for models, made a wish list, and started with the hunt.
    The Primus N°2 was on the list and I was luckily to find this one in good condition.

I drove a 260 km to get this one. The seller told they were stocked in the underground shelters during the cold war for a citizen protection program.
    The seller bought it from a Army surplus store and he never lit it, only cleaned it.

I noticed some of the text “Primus N°2”, at the bottom is faded, perhaps during the cleaning?
    The stem is marked 201957.

I’m not familiar with fettling these stoves, but I want to learn.
    When I want to pressure up the stove, the pressure is building up in the tube, so I guess there is something wrong with the NRV, blocked or something?
    I already poured some kerosene in the tube, but that didn’t helped.
    So I’m going to remove the NRV when I have the tools, hoping I can get it to work.

1322415702-IMG_1211.jpg

Foto-BTK3P3XA-D.jpg

Foto-AYCT78VB-D.jpg

Foto-HHKOANYS-D.jpg

Foto-INFAWTUQ-D.jpg

Foto-GACG4PNA-D.jpg

Foto-IZDPNHRY-D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Roy77

Hello Tracer!

This is a very nice stove, and interesting story.
    Do you know exactly how does work this kind of stove?

BR. Roy

3. Sparky

Tracer, welcome to the forum. We have confidence you will get this stove operating soon. The "pip" (the rubber tip that prevents air from returning into the pump tube) is probably hard and not sealing the hole. You can buy a tool to do this task from one of the members (contact loco7stove for details) or make your own. There are numerous tutorials under the Fettling header so have a look around (here is a good one for fixing the NRV: https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/64230 ) . When you have a specific question, post it here and someone will be glad to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Erwin, I have a set of Stu's Wonderfull NRV Removal Tools, so if you like, you can borrow it. I also have some suitable rubber left to make a new NRV pip. Just send me a smoke signal and we'll work things out.

Best regards,

Wim