Primus No.1, DRP, c.1897.

Discussion in 'Primus No:1 (inc S & J )' started by igh371, Apr 8, 2020.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC09984.JPG Primus No.1 prepared for sale in the German market with DRP73457 patent marked filler cap. Fits nicely into a timeline between this un-numbered German market Primus 'No.1' roughly 1896, and the introduction of 'AKT.BOL' into the filler cap legends after company restructuring in 1898.

Lots of evidence of the hard life usually suffered these domestic No.1 workhorses. In particular note the bizarrely repaired pressure release screw, and the replacement pump tube cap which itself is now badly worn. Not to mention the leg repairs with one re-attached at the wrong height, leaving the stove sat lop-sided!
    DSC09986.JPG DSC09987.JPG DSC09988.JPG

Full set of standard 1896-and-after tank top markings:
    DSC09981.JPG DSC09982.JPG DSC09983.JPG

Round base provenance mark:
    DSC09985.JPG

Pre-'AKT.BOL' filler cap:
    DSC09978.JPG (c/f a later equivalent here)

And finally:
    DSC09990.JPG
    Eagle-eyed viewers will have spotted the substitution of a better age-appropriate air screw and a less worn pump cap in the final photo above:-$

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Well done - Thats truly an Oldie!
    Watching this running strong just reminds me, that a bit of TLC now and then - and these brassies will outlive several generations of us all.

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Evening, @igh371 , Ian,

WOW!! That is one Old Timer what has been around, and had a hard life. Yet, as a testament to it's excellent design, and quality construction, it's still able to be brought back to active duty!! Excellent job, my friend! Any plans to weld the crack in the cast iron trivet, or would you think it's best to leave well enough alone? Might cause more damage, trying to weld that old cast iron. Thank you for sharing it with us, and again, very well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

4. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Wow, that's awesome. My oldest stove thus far is my Primus 210, circa 1932.

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Doc, for the moment it is leave well alone. As long as a ring retains basic structural integrity a crack or two can serve a purpose in providing an outlet for expansion & contraction stresses in use. Repair, either by braze or weld, can sometimes just provoke new cracks elsewhere!
    Ian:thumbup:

6. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Wow. That oldie was worked hard! Nice save. I did like the bizarre air release screw. lol

Alex

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Ian, once again you have presented a wonderful piece of history. Thanks. :thumbup:

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to modify the air screw. Posably to make it larger for a user having trouble griping the screw. Elderly, arthritis? All supposition of course.