Primus No:100 - No:3 Outfit - 1920

Discussion in 'Primus No:100' started by Strikealight, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Strikealight

Hello, all.

My 1920 Primus 100 came in a metal box marked "No. 3 Outfit", and I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me whether there are any bits missing, or whether any of the bits I do have are not original.

I have read the posts of Bom Bom Bom Bom, Dutchmike and Ross about these outfits - I understand from these that these outfits were put together and marketed by a company called Condrup, and that they provided their own instruction sheets, which were marked "Con" after 1915.

I attach some photos of my outfit. The wire handle on the top of the tin is of course new, and I will get round to stressing it with wire wool and salt water when I have a minute to get it to blend in. Also, as I have recently posted the silent cap is a replacement bought from Base Camp.

The fuel tins and accessory box are all made from tinned metal, which seems to be in order, as I understand that from 1925 they were painted. You will also see that the word "Con" is indeed printed at the top of the instruction sheet.

However, I am wondering whether the pot stand is original to the outfit, as I have not seen any references to any pot stands in the other posts, and further it is a bit if a tight fit into the tin - it goes, but it pushes the side of the tin out slightly when it is in.

I also have my doubts about the folding windguard. It is made of tinned metal, but it seems a bit rough and ready, and a ittle out of place in the outfit. Any thoughts, anyone?

Are these outfits rare? Does anyone know how long they were produced for? I understand that the Primus 125 stove was also used to make up these outfits.

Last but not least, does anyone know what the small rectagular section / slot in the front left hand corner of the tin is for? (see specific photo).

Here are the photos :

1252403614-01-Closed_Outfit_tin.jpg 1252403622-02-No_3_Outfit_contents.jpg 1252403630-03-Date_stamp.jpg 1252403637-04-Pot_stand.jpg 1252403644-05-Primus_100_stove_2.jpg 1252403654-06-Primus_100__stove_1.jpg 1252403663-07-Open_tin.jpg 1252403670-08-Packed_Outfit.jpg 1252403675-09-Instruction_sheets.jpg 1252403701-010-Instruction_sheet_close.jpg 1252403707-011-Recangular_slot.jpg 1252403713-012-Tin_badge.jpg

Many thanks -

Strikealight

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

what a great bit of work..when all i can find is old Coleman suitcases for a few buck i just about break down and cry when i see whats really out there :(

3. idahostoveguy

You have a beautifully awesome system there. The box is remarkably preserved along with all of the tins and tools. The pot support is a wonder, but very nice otherwise. The stove itself is just stunning. I would have to say that the whole outfit is fabulous to look at. Thanks for sharing.

4. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co Subscriber

Nice to see such a complete stove with all accesories. Perhaps Condrup was some kind of partner dealer to Primus?

Best Regards
    Joakim

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Just a little bit! Check the articles section.

or https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/86

These were early Con/Condrup outfits & are thus found mainly in UK & Commonwealth. I know Swedish collectors trying to add these kits to their collection at a reasonable price. There were outfits 1, 2 & 3 but with differing models. Primus did a similar outfit but I don't think there is one currently listed in the Gallery - I will try & add one at the weekend if not.

This is a nice example which really ought to be in the Stove Reference Section rather than general 'stove chat'.

Every thing looks to be there, bar a small paper label inside the lid & the rag. I'm not a 100% about the spares tin. From memory they should be more rectangular with no rounded edges & a lift off lid. The rags are shown on the paper label & this outfit along with the later Sport outfits were some of the few Primus kits to have one. The Primus Sport was a nice yellow affair wheras the Condrup a rough bit of industrial waste. I only have one Primus outfit with the rag. Optimus did the same with the earlier 111's with a similar rag to the Condrup.

I have a No:100 in one an outfit - I don't think it has the pan ring but I will check later. If it's straining the box it's likely to be an 'optional extra'.

The rectangular piece is for the legs as in this pic of my 212.
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/954

The windshields were rough on these so very likely original.

Great to see - many thanks for sharing. These are among my favourite sets, whatever the model inside. I have maybe half a dozen different models (Haven't seen one with a 125 - only colapsibles). For many years they seemed to be ignored by the ebay collectors in favour of brightly coloured tinned stoves from later. Often saw 1960's 'L' stoves going for far more than these. Get them while you can!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

That is a great stove and this is a very interesting thread - CCS at it's best!.

Some years ago, I bought a tin marked "No. 1 Outfit" which, rather naively, I supposed would house my pre-1911 Primus No. 1 - which it didn't, of course. :doh: So I guess I'm looking for the bits to fill the tin - can anyone help?

Alternatively, is there anyone who has the bits and needs the correct tin to put them in..?

7. Spiritburner

I'm in the same position Dave. I have a few of these outfits but the last one I bought without a stove in it. It was in good nick & it had the rag but sans stove was one of those ebay bargains!

I may have a triangular spirit-can spare but would need to check it's a fitter.

8. Spiritburner

& I couldn't leave it where it was to get buried so I've moved it to the Stove reference gallery. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. Dutchmike

Hello Strike, what a beauty of a stove set you got there! And I agree with the notion that, when the pot ring does not nestle easily, it probabely was not meant to be part of this outfit.
    I also agree with Ross, that I at least let these critters pass for more flamboyant members of the Primus family, even at low prices we will likely not see again.

Alas, I have given up on collecting and am in the process of paring down.
    But should I have owned such a Con outfit, it probabely would have stayed!
    Even so, I would love to see a good copy of the paperwork in the Library.

So in advance, thanks for sharing!
    Regards, Mike

P.S. Instead of salt water, try amonium.
    Depending on the plating, it would "weather" the plate instead of rusting through.

10. Strikealight

Thanks for all of your kind words and comments!

I shall add a few photos when I can for the sake of completeness and I will put photos and photocopies of the paperwork into the Library as requested.

I am surprised that the spares tin appears not to be original - the possibility hadn't crossed my mind. There are no reference marks on it, so I suppose that this is probably right.

What exactly is this "rag" that has been referred to? Are we literally talking about a square of cloth to mop up the odd spillage? Can anyone steer me towards any photos of one? I ask only out of interest - this stove is very much a "user", but it would be nice to have all of the bits together.

It has worked very hard this summer on picnics, in the garden and on camps, and has kept me and my family well fed. However, in light of your comments I will perhaps pack it a little more carefully in future!

Dutchmike, I will try the ammonium trick you suggested. I usd a bit of thick coathanger wire, but I don't think it has any coating on it.

Many thanks, all -

11. Spiritburner

I'll recheck my spare tins - not saying your's isn't original but I don't recall seeing other than more angular basic folded tin ones with separate lid. No marks on them either. I have seen a couple the same shape but they were ex peppermint tins! Maybe the later ones were like yours?

I'll post a pic of the rag at the weekend if not before. Nothing remarkable about it but I had to have the outfit - eevn without the stove.

12. Spiritburner

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  13. Dutchmike

Going over some of my older contributions to this forum I found this post on your delectable Primus outfit. Admiring the pictures I see a distinctive 'J' marked on the bottom of your stove, indicating 1920, not 1925 as the year of manufacture. Not sure, but I believe they changed to the letters within a small circle after 1921.

Again, great 'outfit'!
    Regards, Mike

14. Spiritburner

How did I miss that. It is 1920! :doh:

15. Bom Bom Bom Bom

I missed this post first time round, but to answer Strikealight's question about the rectangular section on the front left of the tin - it's to hold the pan support legs.

I wondered about this for sometime myself but then spotted in one of the catalogues in the reference section a drawing that showed the pan support legs laying down across the top of the packed stove. The "pan end" of the legs slot into that front left section on the tin and then lay in a front to back direction across the top of the packed stove. Also, if anyone isn't familiar with these set-ups, the spanner slots into the fitting that can be seen in the picture of the bottom of the empty box.

Cheers, Graham.

16. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, this is a lovely Primus/Con No.3 outfit.
    Graham is quite correct about the rectangual fitting being for storing the legs.
    Have a look at the similar arrangement on this Optimus No.1 Outfit:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/15377

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015