Primus No.2 - 1916 'F'.

Discussion in 'Primus No:2' started by igh371, Sep 21, 2018.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC07713.JPG
    One nicely preserved Primus No.2 (its the big one on the right:D) dating from 1916, and photographed beside a standard 2 pint Primus No.5. It has to be assumed that this stove has been relatively little used, and the resulting very complete original condition makes it a good reference example. The original burner is interesting because it is of an earlier pattern, with the very simple 'PRIMUS' marking, than the more elaborate pattern seen on No.1 stoves by that date. This appears to show that the considerably slower selling No.2 were, in effect, being fitted with relatively old stock burners compared to the new manufacture No.1 burners.

DSC07710.JPG DSC07709.JPG

The filler cap is the earliest variant of the Primus vertical 'winged' caps, top of the 'flare' is narrower than became the case later. Comparison with other reference gallery Primus stoves from 1914 & '15 on one side and 1917, '18 and '19 on the other, seems to confirm that 1916 was the year that these new style filler caps were introduced, and 1915 the last for the use of flat caps on the No.1,2 and 5s etc. The air release screw has 'Primus on both sides:

DSC07715.JPG DSC07712.JPG

DSC07714.JPG DSC07716.JPG DSC07717.JPG DSC07718.JPG

The original trivet is a marvellously unblemished piece:
    DSC07711.JPG

with only one small manufacturing reference number on the lower face: DSC07719.JPG

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

The No.2 is one of my favourite stoves. When extra heat is needed, especially with larger pans, the No.2 is ideal.
    I always use a Primus No.2 with my Coleman oven.

Ian, your No.2 is a fine example. I think your reasoning concerning the earlier burner is very logical.
    Yours has the original cast iron trivet which is often missing from these stoves.
    I have looked carefully and can see no cracks. If that is so then it is very special.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @igh371

A very fine example.

:thumbup:

You are blessed to have the cast iron trivet in such fine condition.

Cheers

Tony

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

I would just like a No 2 to sit the oven on....[-o<