Primus No. 2 - A Fun Find on the 'Bay!

Discussion in 'Primus No:2' started by Doc Mark, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, Fellow Stovies!

A few days ago, I was casting about on the 'Bay, and found what looked like a good possibility. It was a Primus #2, which appears to date to 1955! It was pretty beat up, but it was a silent version of this venerable stove, which I've never seen before! Aside from missing it's inner and outer burner caps, it appeared to be complete.

And, it had a BIN price of only $57.95! How could I refuse!?!! A click of the BIN button, and The #2 was mine! Here are the photos posted by the seller:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Since both burner, and font are stamped "AT" (1955), I think it's safe to assume that they were made for each other, originally.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

As you can see, the burner needs lots of attention, to get it back into any kind of usable condition. And, it's apparent that the pump rod knob is damaged, and may well need replacement, if such a thing can be found. In any case, the stove is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday, and I very much look forward to seeing what it will need to get it back up and running again! I'm thrilled by the price, and think I'll be similarly thrilled, if I can get this Old Timer up and running again!! Now, to source proper inner and outer burner caps....!!

One interesting thing about the #2 stove is that, somehow, I now own FIVE of these big beasts!! I most certainly did not set out to gather so many, but it happened, in any case! I'll take a "Optimus/Primus #2 Family Photo", when this recent one is fettled and running. Thanks for checking it out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - I have to say, I'm surprised that nobody used the BIN before I saw it. Guess it looked too beat up for others to have any interest in it. We'll see if I made a good decision, or if this turns out to be a "parts" stove.

2. Nicola Francesco Elia

Nicola Francesco Elia Subscriber

Hi Doc,

I have 3 no 2 Primuses... one came with this huge silent burner (missing both caps too), that should belong to the Primus no 6, the silent sister of the no 2. It probably is the original burner, I suppose that shops offered nos 2 and 6 with the preferred burner for this big stove, so the date code on the burner confirms this.

I have replaced my huge "wrong" silent with the correct big roarer burner for the no 2, also because finding inner and outer caps seems impossible.

Anyway the price is a little high, considering that bigger stoves are not really loved by the "big dollar" collectors, and also considering the money needed to fix the pump knob and buy the burner parts and the missing trivet.

Anyway if for you is a great buy who can tell you to not be happy about it! :D

Nicola

3. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Doc Mark interesting burner you've got there. 'CAT' - is that possibly Middle Eastern origin?

4. Nicola Francesco Elia

Nicola Francesco Elia Subscriber

@igh371

Hi, probably you're correct (Cat Brand), I didn't notice the C but I focused on the At that is the same date code of the stove.

My big silent burner is marked Primus Sweden.

Nicola

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Doc Mark
    Great find Mark, equivalent at least of a Primus No.4142 silent burner.

The 1930’s burner chart has that belonging to a No.6 or No.8 stove ...

B0E95032-F108-4E9E-9206-189B128F6EEA.jpeg

... but the 1961 chart assigns it to stove Nos.6 and 8 as before but to Nos.2 and 3 also.

B82CB5F9-6282-4759-BB61-2506F5666F0E.jpeg

You might find THIS post of mine on my No.8 and 4142 burner useful in respect of adapting inner and outer caps.

John

6. Doc Mark

Hey, Guys,

Thanks for your comments, and info. @presscall , John, I appreciate all the burner information. Once I see, exactly, what I bought, I'll know more about what to do with it. If worse comes to worse, I do have a brand new Optimus #2 roarer burner that can be used on this stove. But, I'd rather keep it as it is, and use the burner that comes with it, IF it's worth using. I've never heard of "CAT" burners before, and if it's an El Cheapo burner, instead of an original Primus, I'll very probably dump it, and do something else with the remaining parts. In fact, I already have an idea about what to do, should the burner be crap. I'll post more after the stove arrives! Thanks, again, Gentlemen, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Doc Mark - 3rd from last of the sequence of photos - when you zoom in a bit seems to have 'UAR' on the burner edge, I guess roughly opposite side to the 'CAT' mark. UAR would be the Colonel Nasser era United Arab Republic. That new stove of yours could have a rather colourful history!!!
    Ian:thumbup:

8. Doc Mark

Evening, @igh371 , Ian, and All,

"UAR"!?! I'd not noticed that before, but will certainly check it out when the stove arrives. The plot thickens, already, and it's not even here, yet!! Thanks for the sharp eye, Ian, and the very interesting information about a possible connection to the Nasser era! Very interesting, indeed! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. Doc Mark

A quick question: Where will I find information on CAT brand stoves, and/or burners? I've looked here on CCS, but so far, come up empty. Is it from India, or the Middle East? I did learn more than I knew about the UAR era, and that, in and of itself, is quite interesting! Thanks for any info you can send my way! Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

10. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Oh heck yes, haha. Looking forward to seeing this one up and running Doc. :thumbup:

11. Doc Mark

Thanks, TW! I finally found a bit of info, here on CCS, in which our old, dear and sadly, departed frieng, Gerry, aka Thuggy, or The Nordic Thug. His comment on a stove he owned, many long years ago, was that the CAT Brand stuff came out of India, and was of more than dubious quality. Sigh...... Oh, well. hopefully it WILL run, eventually, and due to it's possible historical "significance", I'll still be happy with it. Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

PS - We're making a pizza tonight, testing some store bought crusts. Last try, using Stone Fire Grill's crust, was quite tasty!!

12. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    There are “Cat” brand lanterns made in China.

Tony

13. Doc Mark

Howdy, Gents,

The Primus #2 arrived today, safe and....well, the burner AIN'T sound!! As some of you expected, the burner is a huge POS!! Here are some photos of that burner, and a few possible replacements thereof.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

HOLY MOLY!! Look at that crack! No wonder some previous owner used that "circlip" to hold it all together. Of course, looks to me like that would leak like a sieve, and cause a big fireball!! I'll keep the burner, as a reminder that sometimes, a sow's ear, CANNOT be made into a silk purse"!!

19.jpg

21.jpg

What?!! Not big enough for you?? OK, how about this one, instead??!

28.jpg

How about sticking with a silent burner? Maybe.......

22.jpg

23.jpg

I'm thinking this is, actually, the proper burner for this stove. Take a look at the comparison photo and see what you think.

24.jpg

25.jpg

I think the middle one, is the proper one. What say you??!

26.jpg

Too bad that the knob on the left, is just too small. Oh, well..... I'll keep looking for more spare parts, in my stash.

27.jpg

This pump rod, with it's O-ring "bucket", will work, though a little bit too short. I think I have a proper length rod, someplace.

29.jpg

30.jpg

So, there you have it, Gentlemen, and Ladies. I'm quite happy with the condition of the font and the stove, overall. But, that crappy burner has GOT to go!! Thanks for checking it out, and stay tuned for more as this project progresses. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Attached Files:

• 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      164.1 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      138.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  14. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I think you should fettle the burner that came with it, Doc. ;)

... But the Optimus roarer would be good as well.

Tony

15. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Great find Doc! And I agree with Tony, you should try and get that Cat going (maybe it's even a tiger?).

The crack in the mixing tube is not a crack, also quality brand burners have the mixing tubes made of a rolled sheet rather than a tube.

Look very much forward to flame shots - with or without the Cat! :content: