Primus No.221 - 1921

Discussion in 'Primus No:221' started by Admin, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Came across this 221 in a job lot today.

I have had a look through the SRG, and I cant find anything with the type of legs this one has, or even the box.

Can anyone help with any information on it, date etc.

Cheers

Ian
    1245620183-Primus_Outfit_Box.jpg 1245620320-primus_221_head_on.jpg 1245620362-top_view_primus_221.jpg 1245620414-primus_221_date.jpg 1245620499-pump_s_primus_221.jpg 1245620527-primus_221_legs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Dutchmike

Hello Ian, you did not find much as you found yourself an unusual, if not very rare Primus 221 model! The letter K denotes a 1921 vintage, which is in line with the feet, separate from the recepticles of the 3 potholders. This style was due to change in 1922/23 when both merged into one pressing, effectively moving the legs to the outside perimeter of the tank.
    The container seems the right one too, tinned, not painted as that colourful style had yet to appear, around 1925 I believe.
    The markings on the pumpknob is also a pointer to the old age, as these letters appear on other parts too on these older stoves. The significance is unknown sofar.
    With even the flame plate there, no more accesories like spanner, meth's bottle etc.?
    Even so, a very delectable find, even if you have paid a substantial sum, which I doubt, and congratulations are in place!

Regards,
    Mike

3. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Very nice Iani. These 'outfits' were supplied by Condrup the UK (& at that time Commonwealth) Primus distributor.

The burner should be the more conventional roarer but a minor detail in a stove of this vintage.

I've moved this to the No:221 section.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

What a great bit of luck - lovely stove! :D :D

5. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Ross - Thanks very much for the editing, we will get it right one day.

Mike - Thanks very much for the information. There is a spanner, but no other equipment. I see Bom Bom Bom Bom, on another post somewhere, has a box similar to the one I have, which makes me wonder whether it is original to the stove. The embossed inscription on the brass plaque, reads, No 2 - The Compact Primus Outfit - Regd No. E44814, but my tin has been painted black at some stage.

Ross - I doubted whether the burner was original, as the wire mesh inside the riser tube is squeaky clean.

Trevor - I got another couple of beauties again today.
    Sorry no pictures, well not yet anyway.

Thanks all.
    Ian

6. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Ian,

Your's may well be correct. I actually have two of these boxes. One contains the Primus 215 shown in the gallery, and the other contains an as yet unfettled early (1911/1912 - can't recall) Primus 100 outfit. However, both these are labeled as being Compact Outfit No.3. I wonder whether the numbers refer to the stove fuel capacity or have some other meaning. However, I'm pretty sure that it's not one box number referring only to one particular stove. Of course if I'm wrong it means one of mine isn't original either!

Cheers, Graham.