Primus No.30 pre-1911 (1908-10)

Discussion in 'Primus No:30' started by igh371, Sep 25, 2019.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Primus 30 pre-1911 a.jpg
    At last, a pre-1911 No.30 'Lilliput':content: The photo above is as found. Most likely from the one of the years 1908/9/10 given the modern standard pump rod assembly and 'Primus Patent', as opposed to earlier 'Lindqvists Patent', marking on the pump tube cap:
    DSC09150.JPG

This one is shown to have been supplied to the Russian market as evidenced by the neat Cyrillic alphabet B.A.Hjorth provenance plate sweated to the tank side:
    Primus 30 pre-1911 b.jpg

One nasty ding on the tank shoulder but otherwise superficially not too bad condition:
    Primus 30 pre-1911 d.jpg Primus 30 pre-1911 e.jpg Primus 30 pre-1911 c.jpg

But under the surface were a couple of unexpectedly tough challenges. First the combined filler/pressure release cap proved to be an awkward little so-and-so - an aluminium washer had been placed between the cap body and the pressure screw - and then soldered into place on both sides!!! One way to stop leaks from the pressure screw I guess:roll: Once that was sorted out, the NRV was next on the agenda. That was one of those rather tough 'never-moved-since-new' brass-on-brass jobbies. And then finally the incorrect Svea brand burner was found to be coked solid:
    DSC09148.JPG

so off it came; and in its place is now fitted a slightly more appropriate though still later date Primus burner:

DSC09153.JPG

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@igh371 , Ian,

WOW!! That Old Timer is flat-out wonderful!! I definitely admire your ability to continue to find such excellent old stoves to share with us here at CCS!!! What a treat!! Are you going to work in de-coking the SVEA burner, or just junk it? I can't imagine having to deal with something like the alumin(i)um soldered washer problem!! Sheesh!! In any case, many thanks for sharing your lovely find here, and well done on getting it up and running again!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

No danger of junking it Doc, I have a Svea No.10 where it will be much more at home once it is cleaned out!
    Ian:thumbup: