Primus No.4 1898-99 (approx)

Discussion in 'Primus No:4' started by Rangie, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Here's a nice early-ish Primus No.4

oDSC_3719.jpg

oDSC_3720.jpg

oDSC_3721.jpg

It has a later burner (Pre-'34 deep-skirt with air-inlet holes, but not the original 132 fixed-ring/removable top-cap type), but otherwise original.

oDSC_3726.jpg

Looking at it I'm surprised how similar it is to my early No.0.
    So much so I would say they are contemporaries! :mrgreen:

oDSC_3723.jpg oDSC_3724.jpg oDSC_3725.jpg

General observations:
    • Pump tube is the fixed 1896-onwards internal NRV type.
    • NRV has a rounded end and large side vents, original cork pip was fine, it needed delicate cleaning but that was all.
    • The NRV threads at the bottom of the pump tube feel very marginal if you know what I mean. It was re-installed lightly with PTFE tape and seals OK but may need surgery in the future :(
    • Tube Cap is the F.W. Lindqvist Patent type.
    • Air-release thumbscrew is plain both sides.
    • The pump knob has been stamped with the letter "N".
    oDSC_3722.jpg

oDSC_3729.jpg

oDSC_3727.jpg oDSC_3728.jpg

oDSC_3730.jpg oDSC_3731.jpg

oDSC_3732.jpg oDSC_3733.jpg

Now to the nitty gritty....
    • Filler Cap has "B.A.HJORTH&Co." This puts it earlier 1896-99 but may be old stock?
    • The bottom stamp is the roundel type introduced in 1896 but there's uncertainty when it ran to, SRG examples run into 1911.
    • The spirit cup is the "Low" version (to aid self-starting). They are featured in the "High" position in the 1905 catalogue, but can be seen in the "Low" position by the 1907 Moeller & Condrup catalogue.
    • Pump rod is the type with the leather-backed/sealed pump head, seen in the 1905 catalogue, but missing by the circa 1907 catalogue.

So I'm happy to assume a date range of approx 1905-07 for now, although the early cap throws it out a little, the fixed lower position and shape of the spirit cup seems to assume later.

Unless of course the later spirit cup was fitted with the later burner, and this is an 1896-98/99 example? :?
    @igh371 , @Lennart F , @kerophile , any thoughts chaps?

So, does it run? You bet :content:

oDSC_3735.jpg

oDSC_3736.jpg

oDSC_3743.jpg

oDSC_3744.jpg

Comparing notes...... (The No.0 was used for tea only yesterday :content:)

oDSC_3745.jpg

oDSC_3746.jpg

Cheers, pass the fruit cake..... :lol:

Alec.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

I think this could well be the case. This No.4 cannot be any later than 1905/7, but how much earlier could it be?

Assuming that the filler cap is original there is a time window between summer 1898 and spring/summer 1899 when stoves would have been produced with the full combination of all of the features shown. @gieorgijewski has shown definitely that the designation 'Akt.bol.B.A.Hjorth' first appeared in use in late spring 1899 (see here).

So the earlier version of filler cap legends seen on this stove would still have been in use until at least late spring 1899, and probably a few months longer depending on how long it took to use up existing stocks before those bearing the new 'AKT.BOL.' legend came through.

3. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

@Spiritburner could you amend the date in the title to 1898-99 please?
    I've convinced myself..... :lol:

Alec.