Primus No. 5 Late Model ?

Discussion in 'Primus No:5 (inc S & J)' started by ausvantage, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ausvantage

This one came with a Optimus silent burner Cap, only has the words "made in sweden" on the bottom and no apparent date markings anywhere. Transition model ? the fuel cap only says made in sweden too, does not say primus.

1297724364-DSC_5005_sml.JPG 1297724571-DSC_5013_sml.JPG 1297724746-DSC_5007_sml.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, nicely prepared stove but you should have posted a few more photos, including the shape of the top of the legs, the filler cap and the pump knob. All of these features help in dating a stove, and we do love photos.

I believe you are correct in your date estimation. Certainly post 1962, and the formation of the Primus Trading Co. and perhaps as late as the 1970s.

I believe that this is the sister of your stove:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/5467

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. ausvantage

ok, here are some more pics, in reference to the one you linked to, this ones fuel cap is unmarked on the top only "made in sweden" on around the side, the body of the tank seems the same, as i mentioned Optimus Burner cap which i thought was not original but after reading a few posts, might have come with it originally?. when i got this stove it had not been used very much and inside the cap the seal still had the words "made in sweden on it".

1297809806-primus05_01_sml.jpg 1297809972-primus05_03_sml.jpg 1297810072-primus05_02_sml.jpg

ps the stove in the background which looks like an optimus is branded "CAT BRAND" with a roarer burner branded "CATMAX" anyone heard of this ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, after the formation of the Primus Trading Co. in 1962, the stoves were basically made by Optimus alongside their own equivalent model, with only the tank markings different. For shared components such as burners and burner caps, there would often be dual Primus/Optimus markings alongside "Made in Sweden". On flame rings where there was less space,simply "Sweden" was used.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/7

So all your stove's parts are likely original, and correct for the manufacturing date.

Thanks for the additional photos.
    I hope you will now feature some more of your stoves on CCS.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015