Primus No 527 - 1952

Discussion in 'Primus No:527' started by optipri, Aug 14, 2017.

1. optipri

optipri Subscriber

The 527 seems to be rather common. Probably as they have been used on boats, called "the yacth stove".
    This one looks exactly the same as all later models posted, except for one thing, the frame is in stainless steel. That's why it is so well preserved.
    But other parts are not that good. The aluminium heat deflector that also is under the burners is like a tea-strainer. Aluminium is not the best material to provide some chemicals, maybe some used in food cooking that overflows and has affected the metal.

Another weak design in this 520:s serial is that the feeding pipes from the tank not are hexagon shaped where the rising tubes are fitted. I failed in removing the rising tubes, they were stuck and I would have risk to break the construction if pushing it harder. You can see the the left pipe has been deformed a bit by a former owner, probably when trying to remove it.

So I let the pieces be fixed together and only cleaned it around. After all it is not visible.
    But after all a very nice stove.

Bo

CIMG9198.JPG

CIMG9199.JPG CIMG9200.JPG

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@optipri
    The documentation on CCS usually mentions that the 527 frames are hot dipped galvanised for protection against life on a boat.
    However, a Primus brochure from 1952 does mention a stainless steel frame, here.

Later documentation again mentions galvanising.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

I sympathise, Bo. It's too bad when a manufacturer slips up on a helpful detail like that. Not typical of Primus as a rule I'd say.

John

4. Patrick Louis Dit Picard

Patrick Louis Dit Picard France Subscriber

Good evening OptiPri,

It is perfect not to drop pans !
    This stove Primus N°:527 please me, it seem very solid !

Best regards,
    Patrick.

5. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Thank you for the link to the ad shagratork, I missed that in the Primus library.
    Galvanizing is resistant to salt water but looks not very attractive. Stainless is more luxury but of course more expensive. Maybe they didn't sell many of that style.

Bo