Primus No 70

Discussion in 'Primus No:70' started by nmp, Aug 14, 2013.

1. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

A little beauty of a stove without its case unfortunately.

1376498727-p70_e_bay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

T'is a beauty. Case may not be 'missing' - the stove was available on it's own.

3. nmp

Thought that you may like to see the before shot! 1376517536-DSCN4730.jpg

This was before cleaning in an ultra sonic cleaner with hot water citric acid[very mild] and washing up liquid ,the a light clean with a tooth brush and solvol auto solv the pink colour in the first picture is patination not leeched copper from too strong a citric acid solution.Not pink colouration around the bottom rim in the second shot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  4. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice one Nick, and it's got the travel cap :thumbup: . One day I'll come across one :-k :) . As I have discovered with my Lamb, there is a certain panache and style in picking up a roaring stove and blowing it out!

Terry

5. Vintagetwinshock

Vintagetwinshock Subscriber

Hi nmp,

Your 70 will fit inside a british army # 7 stove case, having a short tank you'll have to pack it out underneath the tank with a 3/8" spacer (an old jar lid) will suffice for the time being which should bring the burner head up to the correct height. :)

alternatively, you could use 3 wire tent pegs or make a clip on band with tubes to mount pot support wires, I now have 2 of these, one came from South America, which Stu kindly fixed & another which I bought off ebay which came from London, both stoves work very well indeed. :) :lol: :thumbup: :D/ :content:

PS=I,m in the market for a travel cap.

Best wishes=John.

---------------------
    If in doubt, brew up

6. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

A great little classic of a stove. Perfect for boiling up water as a 2ary stove on trips or at home when you just want to fire her up. Flame shots soon?

7. nmp

Thank you for your comments and advice.
    Having washed it I need to get the wick dry I presume it has one the same as a 70? But I cannot get the riser tube off of the tank, its soaking in plus gas will try again tonight
    I think there are some military no 7 cases on the bay at the moment.

Nick

8. Vintagetwinshock

Vintagetwinshock Subscriber

Hi nmp,

The riser tube on a 70 is a rather delicate affair which has a small hexagon (7/16" AF)if you really do have to remove it, it needs to be done as a last resort & not before consulting a master fettler. :?:

I would first try removing the jet & clean out the inside of the rising tube with a welding jet tip cleaner or motorcycle carburettur jet cleaning file before you go down that road.

Possible worst case scenario is to have a replacement rising tube made, I hope it goes well for you, best wishes=John.

---------------------
    If in doubt, brew up.

9. nmp

Thanks I could not shift it anyway,so have left well alone, it seems to burn OK. so will leave as is.
    Thanks Nick