Primus No. 71. Is it repairable.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Quick Cal, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Quick Cal

Quick Cal United States Subscriber

I just receive this Primus 71 today. Right away I could see the vaporizer is screwed in crooked into the bung.

I filled the primer cup with da. I could see just an occasional bubble. I went ahead and lit it with a wet towel and fire extinguisher standing by.

The burner had a great flame at first, then it went limp. I'm sure because it was loosing pressure so I shut it down.

While still warm I primed it again and you could really see the leak. If you watch the video, towards the end I think I see the bung leaking towards the left side.

So should I try to fix this or send it back. I think the threads will strip. And the bung, well I don't know about that.

And the inside of the box is burned up right at the level of where the top of the tank is leaking, below the burner. Is that normal. I'm guessing the stove caught on fire there. Could be wrong.

I have an email into the seller asking what he wants me to do. I told him I would be willing to try and fix it. But it could just get worse.

What would you guys advise. Thanks.

Please watch the 30 second video.

20201026_153648[1].jpg

20201026_164031[1].jpg

20201026_164058[1].jpg

2. CW

CW United States Subscriber

It depends on the seller . If they will allow you to try and repair it or not. They probably sold it because of the issue. As long as the threads are not stripped it should seal. I would recommend using a copper based grease on the threads. It will help seal the threads. The black inside the case was more than likely from priming the stove inside the case not a fire. It is a nice old stove worth saving.

3. Pancholoco1911 United States

I just got mine in the mail too. Replaced the cap seal and pip and it’s working again. Sorry about yours ;( can you check if is crossthreaded?
    Hope you get this running

Attached Files:

4. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Hej @Quick Cal
    Are you sure that is a leak? Or just boiling meth?
    Screw the burner a little deeper. If that doesn't work seak with ptfe band.
    I cannot see it on thr picture, is the burner crooked or is the tank deformed? If the burner is deformed try to bend it back in a vise, is the tank deformed screw in the burner and bend the burner back to its original position. The brass is quite thin there.

Ciao, Bastian

5. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hi Cal thanks for posting this,
    Yes it's repairable.
    With all due respect to Bastian, I would suggest do not screw it in deeper (is why i post).
    Re your: "What would you guys advise" ...
    I don't assume you are seeking consideration from the seller.
    Re that, for variety of reasons including the price was good anyway, I often just take it from there and move on.
    However I question plenty of deals as well. IF seller image did not show the bend (and not shipping damage), my 1st step is what you have done (w/a *caveat).
    I always 1st
    clearly present the issue you have to seller, pic is worth 1000 words.
    -and-
    ASK the seller, "given this situation, i welcome your suggestion as to how we best resolve this?" (myself, might mention i prefer to avoid hassle of returning it).
    My experience I more often get quickly to resolution when the starting point is seller's suggestion (and if it's reasonable, in line w/my own position, i go for quick resolution vs most fair / best deal for me) a lose-lose is a given. My approach accepts lower expectations, to be done with it.

The caveat i click the ebay option "> I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message"
    This option does not flag the deal (not yet) w/ebay.
    -------------------------

The the bubbling alcohol looks normal to me :-k .
    There is sealer on the threads... it was apart and currently not working properly (at some point you could remove vaporizer again).
    Before taking it apart you can determine if the whole thing is pushed aside meaning... is the top of the tank slanted / damaged?
    and
    exactly where is it leaking... --> to find a leak

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Hard to see for sure, but it looks to me like something is a bit bent. Happens a lot with this type of thing, and can usually be simply bent back.
    If indeed threads are cocked, and not stripped, should be simple to repair.
    I would do the freezer thing mentioned above to look for leaks.

7. Lantern

Difficult to tell from the pictures if the vaporizer is bent or indeed screwed in crooked. If cross threaded it could still be salvageable by freshening the threads or possibly just threading it in straight with some thread sealer applied. I would not try to just thread it in deeper. If bent, I have done as Bastian suggested with success. The bubbles you see could easily be from boiling DNA. Again the pictures may not be giving a good perspective but the fount does not appear to me as deformed. Loss of pressure could be from fuel cap seal. That's the first thing I check for with pressure loss. Great little stoves worth saving and usually easily accomplished.

8. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

from the video it seems to be a teflon tape all around e exposed part of the thread.
    Burner have been unscrewed and rescrewerd with what seems teflon to seal it.
    bend correction is not an issue, and ame diyng may be from cap gasket lightly leeking,
    Please, have a look at the cap gasket before all.

9. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

@OMC and @Lantern you both are right of course! With screwing deeper I mean carefully screw 1/8 or 1/4 turn and control again. Do not screw it several turns deeper! Sometimes its just to loose to be tight.
    Fir checking tightness you also could use the hot water method. Empty the tank, close the lid and valve and dunk it into hot water. The air inside gets warmer and expands, the pressure increases and bubbles can be seen at untight points.
    But I think that is no leakage, just boiling ethanol. How about the flame? Looks it good? If there is a leakage the flame will be flimsy or will expire after some short time.

Ciao, Bastian

10. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

I think first unscrew it and check threads on bolt side ( female and male). if it is ok ???? , Screws it back without anything and make sure it go treat without any force at the beginning. If yes, take pictures of everything and let us know.
    Good luck

11. Quick Cal

UPDATE:

I contacted these seller and let him know the issues. I said I would try to fix it if he wanted, but could I still get a refund if I messed it up. He said sure. And if I fixed it and wanted to keep it he would give me a big discount. Then later I told him I did try to fix it but it's still messed up. He said he didn't want it back and refunded all my money. So I basically got it for free. If I get it going I will tell him and give him something for it.

So what I did.

I took the vaporizer out. It is cross threaded, and bent in the middle of the threads. I straightened everything up the best I could. I pulled the wick out and it had a loop in the wire. Reminded me of a Coleman Q99 generator. I imagine you guys know what that is. So I twisted the wire, cut some off and put it back in. Not sure I did it right. Gonna have to watch some videos again.

I put some copper anti-seaze on it and put it back in. I got another turn out of it I think. But I'm not sure if it was in far enough to begin with.

Now it won't even light. When I pre-heat it, it seams like there is even more air bubble coming out of the threads. But I'm not sure that's not the alcohol burning. And I gotta make sure I did the wick right.

So I emptied the fuel out and put it in the freezer. Then in warm water. The cap was leaking. So I tried 2 more caps and got the exact same results. No light up, and showed the caps leaked in a dunk test. But the caps came off functioning stoves. A Svea 123, and a Optimus 8R. I hope they are interchangeable. I will order a proper gasket.

I'm thinking the caps are leaking bad enough it's loosing enough pressure not to show at the threads if they are in fact leaking. So I have new cap seals on the way and will re-test.

I think the fix would be a different vaporizer. But I'm not going to put any money in it knowing the tank could be damaged. I would be happy enough with the very slightly bent parts if the stove works. That being said, I think I need a better thread SEALER. Can you guys recommend anything.

BTW. I sure could use one of those pentagonal tools. I can't find one anywhere.

Here is a real short follow up video. It has more bubbles. If it was the alcohol burning I would think it would be all over. Here it starts by the threads, then that kinda stops and then it looks like it's on just the left side of the bung. The video is too short to show the bung part. As I said. I have a new cap seal ( for the svea and optimus) on the way and I will re-test.

Thanks for all the help.

I hope this shows what I'm seeing. The blue lines show the way the threads are going. The left side is over exaggerated, but I can see it.

20201026_190955_LI.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  12. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Ok!!!!!!! They need help for sure, how about inside threads? They are the one that could make the difference. What do you think of them?

13. Quick Cal

I think I might have got it!!

Most of it was the cap gasket. I did a dunk test. I THINK I might have seen a bubble on the threads. But not sure that it just wasn't a random one floating in the pot. But I did keep seeing it, in nearly the same spot. Kinda weird.

I do have a Primus pump on the way that was included in a package deal I bought. So I'm going to use the pump on it to make sure there are no bubbles.

It seems like it might be surging a little. But I may have some water in the tank from the dunk test. I'm going to rinse the tank.

There was a lot of yellow in the flame at first, and a lot of surging. Seems like it calmed down. Would you guys say it's healed?

14. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Quick Cal

That 71 is looking good. :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

15. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Bubbles there are due to the alcohol prime boiling, that’s what happens.

16. Quick Cal

Sorry about that. I mean a single bubble on the threads while under water.

17. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Cal,
    re: "I would try to fix it if he wanted, but could I still get a refund if I messed it up."
    Well I never.... geesh, you drive a hard bargain but seller actually went for that, so that's the done deal, wow.

Re this post on whole... it's well done all around.

Yours like many is 50+ yrs old, plenty are 100+, the repairs are a challenge and the brass can be soooo unforgiving ... that type vaporizer included (seized, prev. owner: bent, stripped, soldered etc) can give a guy fits. You got her done.

My comment re "vaporizer... It is cross threaded, and bent in the middle of the threads. I straightened everything up the best I could." that itself is a well done! :clap:

18. Quick Cal

I emailed the seller and told him I got it going. Waiting to see how much of a discount he was offering,,,lol.

19. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Subscriber

Ah man! Here too? LOLZ and comma ellipsis. :roll:

20. Quick Cal

Don't make me break out the lol's on you. You know I will.