Primus no. 741 - 1938

Discussion in 'Primus No:741' started by JacobLotz, Aug 3, 2016.

1. JacobLotz

Hi all,

Last winter I traded this stove with a Belgian Sievert collector. Last week I finally had time to look at it. It is the Primus no. 741 dated 1938. The previous owner 'restored' it. He almost destroyed the burner heads completely (it still had the sand of the sand brush in it...). Replacing the jets took me 2 hours since there was almost nothing left. This night I got it burning, after replacing the washers (up and down). After having it light for 1 minute I noticed the loss of pressure and the massive amount of kero on the table. I noticed some small cracks were the kero was simply bubbling out. This was not a weld but just in the middle of the brass... After looking again at the stove I also noticed a 'reddish'glow... The patina also seems fake, it is some sort of paint and turns white when burning alcohol falls on it... It still has the original patina at the bottom. Does anyone know how to stop the formation of the cracks and what is happening? Could this be repaired?

At this moment a small warning for all of you on this forum, be cautious in trading of buying anything of this man... See the photo's for yourselves. The flame rings are not the original ones.

Jacob

IMG_9859.JPG IMG_9860.JPG IMG_9861.JPG IMG_9862.JPG IMG_9863.JPG IMG_9864.JPG IMG_9865.JPG IMG_9866.JPG
    IMG_9871.JPG
    Cracks with leaking kero...

IMG_9872.JPG
    Fake patina?
    IMG_9873.JPG
    Reddish glow
    IMG_9874.JPG

Type no.

Attached Files:

2. JacobLotz

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

A magnificent and rare stove!

4. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

that SUCKS. A lot of people use POR 15 with great success, also Caswells is also recomended
    Jan