Primus No:96 - 1920

Discussion in 'Primus No:96' started by Archivist, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Archivist

Archivist Archivist

Courtesy of Doc Mark (pic's taken from a reply in another thread)

1223319224-DSCN2728001.jpg

1223319253-DSCN2731001.jpg 1223319266-DSCN2732001.jpg 1223319279-DSCN2733001.jpg 1223319291-DSCN2734001.jpg 1223319232-DSCN2729001.jpg 1223319241-DSCN2730001.jpg

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

HUMMMMM..... I really need to take some better photos of this lovely little stove, and post them here, along with the story on how it came to be mine, originally, which was LONG before I stumbled onto CCS!!

Doc

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I'm all ears Doc.

Ben

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

One of the years I'm missing. Sandwiched between a couple years. Just discovered the tin those years come in this winter.
    Duane

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

I promised to tell the story on how this stove came to be in my care, and today, found my original tale, posted in another thread on 96 stoves! So, for @z1ulike , @hikerduane , here is the story, as I wrote it to @RonPH (remember him!?):

"Morning, Ron,

Thanks, very much. Yes, that is a wonderful Primus Pocket Outfit setup, and it came to me many years ago in a rather novel manner. I had bought several other stoves from two Brothers, who were both US Marines. It was from them that I bought my very first SVEA 123, with all the goodies, at "that same old Swap Meet" that has produced many hundreds of stoves for me in the past, and still does to this very day!! In addition to the SVEA, I bought a few 8R stoves, a few more SVEA, a couple of Coleman Model 400 stoves, and several more. One Sunday, when I stopped at their booth, they told me that they had a nice old Primus for me, and would bring it the next week. I was very excited about this, as I had no Primus stoves back then, and this would be my very first kerosene stove, too! But, the next week came and went, and they had forgotten to bring it. Same for the following week.... and same for many months afterwards. I decided that they had been blowing smoke my direction, and gave up on asking about the "special" Primus they had mentioned. Fast-forward to exactly one year to the day that they first told me about that stove. As I passed by their booth at the SM, they beckoned me over. One went to their truck and retrieved a small tin case, which he handed directly to me. It turned out to be this wonderful Pocket Outfit Primus, and when I opened the box, I was flat-out gobsmacked to see the original paperwork, tools, spirit tin, and everything else needed to run the stove!! The only tiny difference was that someone had replaced one of the pot supports with one made of copper, probably having lost the original support long ago. But, that replacement leg looks great, and works great, too. In any case, I was very excited and asked how much this little guy was going to cost me. They replied,
    Nothing, Sir, it's a gift! You are the only person that we've yet met who we feel will really appreciate this old stove for what it is, so we want you to have it"! Again, I was gobsmacked!! I'll never forget their kindness in gifting me that little stove, all those years ago, and wish I could meet up with them today, to let them, know how much I've loved using that stove over the years, and how much I appreciate their over-the-top generosity, and persistence, in letting me be it's caretaker! You have to love the US Marines!!! They always get the job done, no matter what it is!! HUZZAH, and HOO-RAH!! ;) 8) :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (Blessed in so many ways, and always thankful and grateful!!)"

And, "Now, you know..... the rest of the story"!!! New photos of this lovely stove posted here at another time!

Doc