Primus No 96 1962-196??

Discussion in 'Primus No:96' started by eagleclub, Aug 25, 2011.

1. eagleclub

I just got this No96 in an auction but, cannot find out what year it is. There is no stamp so, it cannot be all that old. There is a red sticker on it but, I cannot find any pictures on the web with the same sticker. Can anyone help?
    1314282136-Primus_11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Welcome to CCS, Eagleclub,

I'm afraid I can't be of help with the dating - I never saw one with this sticker. Nevertheless, your stove looks nearly new, and so is the tin. Congratulations on a nice find.

Yonadav

3. Knight84

Hello,

That looks like a 1962 -196? Primus trading company (PTC)
    Optimus bought Primus liquid division in 1962/1961

Jeff

4. Rick b

Welcome eagleclub to CCS. Is there any kind of a date on one of the legs?

5. eagleclub

Thank you all for the welcomes. I have looked all over this thing for some hint of it's age. I double checked the legs and I can find no markings. Since I have not seen any of these stoves with a sticker on it, I am stuck with two theroies. A. The stickers came on the stoves and people always took them off - or - 2. Someone put the sticker on it because they thought it would look cool and no one ever took it back off. I'm torn on whether I should take the sticker off to see if there is a mark under it or leave it alone. If I take it off, I know it will never go back on again.

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi eaglecub. It is very unlikely that there will be a date marking under the sticker. Primus did not make markings in that position.
    As to dating: read this article from Bryan Miller and you should be able to get a date range from the stove features he describes.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/14614

I think your stove is Version 8 on Bryan's classification, effectively an Optimus No.96 clone, and dates from the 1960s (post 1962)

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I've seen the sticker on the No:96 & 71 models from this era. They are more often missing or lying in the bottom of the tin. They didn't stay on long under normal use as the heat would cause the adhesive to fail or fuel spills would ruin them.

That yours is still there indicates little or no use of the stove.

Definitely post 1962 & with that tin I'd say no later than that decade.

8. eagleclub

Thanks again to everyone. I was planning on selling it as I do with most of the stuff I get at auction but, I don't know, I kinda like this little stove.

9. DaveC

DaveC Subscriber

I have an identical stove with the same "Sweden" logo on the tin. The sides and back of the tin are plain (no Primus logo) unlike some. The filler cap/air screw is also the same as is the six sided reservoir cap. A friend gave me this stove in the 1970s and I understand he bought it in 1961.