Primus No1 Project

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Robtz, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Robtz

Robtz Subscriber

Hi All,

OK, here's the deal: I have acquired a scrappy Primus No1 that has likely more years than I to go before it becomes an antique; it's lacking in an identification number; has been abused - probably physically and mentally by neglect; has had cosmetic surgery after some abuse, but that has left it looking worse than if it had not had it to start with; and, has parts stuck and immobile. Summary: :thumbdown:

Therefore, and I'm taking a punt here :^o , it will exhibit a marked reluctance to show a glimmer of life, much less burn with a degree of willingness.

Therein lies the challenge.

I have not, yet, undertaken electrolysis of rusted parts, replaced and re-soldered legs, nor prised out an immovable pump rod.

I would like some assistance, remote as that may be and I know it can only be by the ethereal media of this site and the altruistic nature of many of its members.

I do not see this as a quick two week job, coupled with before and after shots routine as I have a day job, Christmas is coming, kids, etc. Nevertheless, if you'll bear with me, I'm happy to take suggestions and 'do your bidding' to get this burner back to some semblance of former life, posting the results (failures and otherwise) on here for your response.

First and foremost you will need pictures. That I can manage, but give me 24 hours as I need a camera ...

All suggestions, positive and otherwise, welcome.

Regards all,

Rob

2. cazna

Hi Rob

I seen that stove and nearly hit the offer as well, Did you see the primus 2 currently listed?? I have a Primus 0.

Tube removals not so bad if you need to, I have done one

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/12672

Legs arnt to bad either, Just make sure the surfacers are super clean.

Just be aware of fuel in the tank before you start soldering anything, I filled and emptied mine a few times with water, Even swished it out with thinners first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. frg7700

frg7700 Subscriber

It could surprise you.

I bought a pair of two pinters at a boot sale one weekend, a no.5 which was in good order and a no.1 which was a complete dog and was more-or-less thrown in to sweeten to the deal.

The "ratty" no.1 was up and running properly long before the "just needs a wipe with a cloth" no.5.

4. Robtz

Robtz Subscriber

hi All,

I am not sure where they went, but the photos I posted have dissapeared. Maybe by default, but maybe by design??

Anywho, here they are all again (I hope). It'll give you some idea about what I am playing with.

1383289015-IMG_2658.jpg 1383289036-IMG_2659.jpg 1383289047-IMG_2660.jpg 1383289062-IMG_2663.jpg 1383289077-IMG_2664.jpg 1383289090-IMG_2665.jpg 1383289103-IMG_2666.jpg 1383289116-IMG_2667.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Rob, I think your N°1 is a very early one (the shape of the spirit tray looks like the early ones) and on the photo of its underside I think I can spot a letter C or G (1913 or 1917). As it looks complete (the trivet is a later one I think) it will certainly be worth the trouble of restoring it.

Best regards,

Wim

6. threedots New Zealand

Hello Robtz.
    You may not have to remove the pump tube at all.

I suspect the reason the pump rod could be stuck is because of old dried up fuel that may have initially leaked past the NRV, soaked into the pump leather then over time(your stove IS 100 years old) bound the whole pump assembly with a hardened varnish type residue that was left behind after the fuel vaporized.

I would fill the fuel tank totally with alcohol(metholated spirits).
    Shake daily for a week or two then drain out the contents.
    See if you can get alcohol down into the pump tube to fill it between shakes; until the pump is able to be moved.

The residue around the NRV threads and pump internals will dissolve with the alcohol and hopefully make them easier to remove, to service them.

Hopefully that is the problem with the pump.
    Cheers, John