Primus No4 & SWS No5

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by cazna, Jun 28, 2011.

1. cazna

Hi Everyone

I have just recieved these two stoves and they have me a little confused.

Firstly the Primus No4 Is that the orginal burner for this stove, And its date stamped under the tank U 13, So is that 1930??

The SWS, I cant seem to find much on that.
    It has SWS No5 Soutterware Wickless Made In Englamd on the tank and on the pump stem cap, F W Lindovists, patent, stamped on it, They does not seem to be anything stanped under the tank.

Is that the orginal burner and if the spirit cup is on the tank like that arnt these the first stoves of this type?? It feels to be made of quite thick brass.

Unfortunatly i do not have the cap and its had a hard life with a few messy solder repairs.

Any info would be great, Thanks everyone.

1309289239-Primus_No4___SWS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi cazna the primus N04 i am certain the burner is not origial i have never seen a lipstick burner on a 2 pint fixed leg stove i have even checked in the reference gallery and they all have the standard burner the N05 souterware i can not say it does look a bit unusual i dont know if it is tha angle the pic was taken but it looks like the stem is on the large side and has a short burner. and the spirit cup is on the bottom of the stem and not inbetween the burner and stem like the standard two pinters i believe it has been modified in some way

3. yonadav

On the SWS, the spirit cup is definitely too far down from the burner.

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

The N°5 is a very old model (and that means absolutely pre-WW1, I'd guess somewhere 1900 and 1910ish). The spirit cup is in the low position, exactly in the same place as on Primus N°5's of the same era. It also has the same type of burner as these early Primii. Pre-heating is absolutely no problem, I use my Primus N°5 (which is a pre-1911 one) regularly and never had a problem with it. Can't give you any info on the make I'm sorry, but it is worth every second you spend on it, to bring it back to live!

Best regards,

Wim

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

The following two examples illustrate what Wim's said about the Soutterware stove, but I can't readily find a stove combining the two features of the silent burner type and the low-slung spirit cup.

The low-slung spirit cup ...

Pre-1911 No. 5

... and the early type of silent burner, though not on a particularly early stove

Optimus 5J

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi John, there are a few early N°5's (pre 1911) with this type of silent burner in the stove ref. gall., including my own lady (at that time still on 2 legs, with a home-made burner cap. It now has one made by Chickenthief).

Best regards,

Wim

7. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi

No4 burner should look like this

1309296904-DSCF1078_opt.jpg

1309297010-DSCF1439_opt.jpg

1309297066-DSCF1443_opt.jpg

Best regards Stu.

8. cazna

Wow thats great, Could it really be that old??

Thanks for the info and support guys, Hopefully someone knows some history on the SWS No5, Im not a highly skilled fettler but one day when my soldering skills improve i may have a go at it, It has solder at the pump tube, Under the tank lip and on the side, It could be done but i need some practice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. threedots New Zealand

Hello casna.
    Can you provide a few more photos, particularly of the stove on the right. It does appear to be a very old stove, especially with the legs having no bulb feet at the bottom.
    I too have a SWS which I got in very poor condition. Basicly just the tank left in a bad state. Cheers

10. cazna

Hi Threedots, Here is a few more pics, As you can see its had a hard life and has some horrible solder repairs, You're a bit of a stove master, what do you make of it? I've seen some amazing fettles on this site, I think it could be saved. I was surprised to see the leather cup and there is a nrv head in there, so all it needs is a cap and it might live again.

The first pic is it next to a Primus burner on my Meva (I think its a standard Primus). Quite a difference in the two burners.

I haven't had a chance to give it a clean yet. A scrub up might reveal some more markings. Hopefully I will get a chance this weekend.

1309334147-DSCF2349_opt.jpg

1309334172-DSCF2354_opt.jpg

1309334218-DSCF2356_opt.jpg

1309334241-DSCF2357_opt.jpg

11. threedots New Zealand

Hello Cazna.
    I wish I was a "stove master", but there are others on here that know heaps more than what I do, and can probably help you more with the history of the SWS No.5, than what I can. I will give it a go though.

As far as I can tell, the SWS you have is all original apart from the pump rod cap, which is early Primus.
    Your spirit cup is in the correct position and your burner is the correct one also.
    I will post some photos of my one soon for comparing.

The pump cup piston assembly and rod in your latest photos(second to last), looks like an early Primus type or the type that I had shown from the 1896 Alexandra and the pre 1911 Primus No.5 I had displayed in the Stove Reference Gallery.
    Is that pump assembly from the same stove? If so it is either not original to the stove, or the stove is a very early one using the same pump idea.
    If the pump assembly does come from the SWS, I think your stove could be from the late 1890's - approximately 1910, but that is just guessing on my part. Cheers, John

12. cazna

Hi threedots

Thats interesting, Yes the pump assembly did come from the stove, I just unscrewed it for the pic, It has a splayed brass piece inside the washer to keep it apart, Never seen that before, I will have to load a pic. Thanks for you input, There does not seem to much about these stoves posted.
    I have used a citric acid bath to clean it up, Wow that works good, First time i have used that.

13. cazna

Here's a few more pics, it has a letter P stamped on the end of the pump knob and see that splayed brass fitting on the inside of the washer?? Does that indicate anything?

1309460321-DSCF2355_opt.jpg

1309460336-DSCF2360_opt.jpg

1309460349-DSCF2364_opt.jpg

1309460360-DSCF2365_opt.jpg

14. cazna

If anyone in NZ would like this stove let me know, it's yours, Yes, for free. I'm having a bit of a clear out.