Primus omnifuel Troubles

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Crang, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Crang United States

Hi All-

Just got a Primus Omnifuel and am taking it for its maiden run. Ignore my post title- I cant edit it but its an Omnifuel! First tried an MSR butane type canister and all was good. Switched the jet to the correct one for white gas, filled the tank with Crown white gas and the trouble started. I can prime it but cant get it to go to a blue flame.

Ive cleaned the jet repeatedly, used compressed air in the line and intake on the pump, checked the leather plunger on the pump, checked the small brass and oring bit that seals the pump, removed the fuel filter finally on the intake and it doesnt make a difference. The output pressure seems sporadic no matter what I do (even though there is pressure in the tank). By some miracle I got it working a single time and then back to the same problem. If I do get past the priming to the blue flame- it only lasts a few seconds before it sputters and goes back to a big fireball of yellow flame.

What is left to check? About ready to give up and see if I can get a replacement.

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. Crang United States

Yes- had followed everything on that thread. Still no joy. The system is definitely cleared of debris and the fuel filter has been removed until I get it working to make sure that wasnt an issue.

Starting to wonder if the .37mm jet is defective or if something internal is drilled incorrectly. Followed the trouble shooting video on the Primus site and did every step and it still doesnt check out. Hmmm.

4. Crang United States

Got it! Some factory grease on the valve stem kept washing into the system everytime the fuel flowed through it. So I was cleaning it just to have it partially clog the jet again. Cleaned that plus everything else again and works like a charm. Frustrating but I know the stove front and back now at least-

Thanks and thanks for having me on this forum.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Crang
    Good outcome. Thanks for posting - it may help someone with the same problem.

6. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS

7. Crang United States

Thanks! I've been a lurker for some time so happy to finally join.

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.

9. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@Crang

Welcome as well.

What version of the Omni-Fuel do you have? Pictures help.

10. Crang United States

Its the current plane jane Omnifuel (3289 I believe). I have already put it back together but the issue was with the spindle with o-ring. Lots of grease ended up in front of the oring on the spindle. Guess butane could go by it but the white gas flowed it right into the jet. The entire length of this piece had a white grease film on it:

7330033731903_SS18_a_spindle_w_oring_for_3289_5pc_primus_22.jpg

11. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

I've had that same problem once before. If it was the Omni-Fuel II that you have then there is a concern with the burner bell and flame plate.

I love my Omni-Fuels.