Primus Omnilite TI filter

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Tacho D, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Tacho D

After a long search among the forums and reviews for the a compact multifuel stove suitable for my solo motorcycle travels I finally took delivery of a second hand Primus Omnilite TI. I am generally happy with its build quality but I only tried it on canister gas so far. It has clogged twice and required the multi tool to clear the jet, but that's just an opportunity to practice some maintainance. Now all is well. I considered looking for a fuel filter in the system in case that requires maintainance or replacement should bit ever get clogged, but the only one is at the pump pick up and I cannot see any way of accessing that. It may not be an issue because I intend on running it on Aspen 4 which is a cheaper alternative to Coleman fuel.
    Any ideas?

2. Afterburner

You can get the filter out with a needle. Push the needle into filter and twist & pull to get filter out. I am not sure about Omnilite but Ommnifuel also has a filter inside of a flexible hose connection. Part 5 in picture below:

[​IMG]

3. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@Tacho D

If your jet is getting clogged it's probably coming from buildup in the fuel tube around the end of the spindle. The spindle has two grooves cut into it that partially clean the threads as it is being used.

You might want to remove the spindle, clean it and flush out the tube. I would remove the jet at the same time.

4. Tacho D

Thanks guys, I may have to contact Primus to see if filters are available as spares. Didn't see a filter at the end of the fuel connection, that's not to say the previous owner didn't remove it. Took the needle out and there was a slight build up in the grooves. Then flushed it over a kitchen towel and yes, a couple of black flakes that could have blocked the jet. Fired it up with Coleman fuel and works like a dream! Even better than butane. I think I made the right choice though I was looking for a Optimus Polaris to start with.

5. Afterburner

Fuel line filters are available as spares (or at least they WERE available). Years back Primus retailers had a box that they had all parts as a spare part to sell out individually. Then spare part kits came for sale. Earlier they contained the fuel line filters also (this one is for Omnifuel):

[​IMG]
    https://www.subzerostore.co.uk/equi...ice-kit-for-omnifuel-and-multifuel-ex-stoves/

Current Primus spare parts kits doesn't contain fuel line filters ](*,):
    https://www.primus.eu/store/spare-parts/service-kits-tools/

Old Primus (Ergo)pump service kit had the fuel filters:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primus-spare-accessories-fuel-pumps/dp/B000XYUOEA

Current pump service kit doesn't contain fuel line filters:rage: :
    [​IMG]
    https://www.primus.eu/shop/primus-fuel-pump-service-kit-P721460/

If you know some local store that has sold Primus stoves for 10-20 years. They might have those fuel filters and other spares individually (or in older service kits).

See this thread for future reference (one place to check if stove gets problems):

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/cleaning-a-clogged-primus-omnifuel.38912/

6. Tacho D

A wealth of info thanks, might keep a can of carb cleaner handy. I had problems with the generator tube on a Coleman Feather 442 when run on unleaded. I cleaned this by heating with a blowtorch and quenching several times than a soak in citric acid. I dont know if this will be an option anymore.
    As for the filters i read a suggestion somewhere that roll up tobacco filters can provide a cheap alternative if they can be cut to the right size, possibly with a leather hole punch.
    For the time being it might be best to stick to butane and white gas.

7. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Hello, I've same question about this matter.
    fyi my Omnilite Ti doesn't have above picture's n.5 filter at that connection part. there is nothing filled, only the remaining fuel was. however I think it's no problem to put the new filter from Primus service kit (or even by cotton, cigarette's synthetic filter whatever...) for my security. hope i'm right...

May I ask one thing more about Ergopump? (the current version, with Red Checkvalve cover cap)
    The Ergopump also has the white hard-fuel-filter at the end part of the brass-fuel-pipe, so that filter was designed to be replaced? I think no, but the Ergopump Service Kit includes several white replacement filters so Idon't know what it means...!

I tried to unscrew that brass pipe's endpoint which has the fuel filter, but I failed.
    Now my filter is kind of brand new but I hope to know about the possibility for the replacement in order to avoid further tough situation...
    thanks!!!

8. Laitch

Laitch Subscriber

Are those fuel filters indicated by the red arrows in the attached photo from the link above? Maybe they are in the kit but have been excluded from the contents list inadvertently.
    Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 8.43.50 AM.jpg

9. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Hello, from my information, it's not the guaranteed anyway, Primus has been modifying the contents of Primus part # 721460 [fuel pump service kit] several times up to now.
    Your attachment photo's contents might be the current one.
    Yun¹²⁴

10. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Today I've got the reply from Primus cs official as;
    So, Omnilite Ti doesn't have anymore the filter at the connection part just before the second valve.
    And the fuel filter on the ergopump could be replaced but unfortunately I don't know how to do. I don't think the brass part is to be unscrewed in order to replace the filter.
    Hope somebody needs this info for their purposes, thanks.
    Yun¹²⁴