Primus pot stand (No. 1137) for furnace-type stoves

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by presscall, May 8, 2016.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I was asked to provide some dimensions for my stand so I've raised this as a Reference Gallery post so others can make use of them also.

Here's the stand with a Primus 85

1.JPG

... and standalone

2.JPG

The grid squares are 5mm (small) and 50mm (large).

Top brace.

3.JPG

One of the legs, base end to the left.

4.JPG

The base plate, top.

5.JPG

Base plate underside.

6.JPG

Fixing method, leg to base plate.

7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG

Fixing method, leg to top brace.

10.JPG 11.JPG

Steel stock dimensions, legs (I make it 15mm X 6mm)

12.JPG 13.JPG

Stock dimensions, top brace (18mm X 5mm)

14.JPG 15.JPG

Stock thickness, base plate (1.5mm)

16.JPG

Hope that helps Alex!

John

2. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

Millimeters? Ahhhh...near the end of my grade schooling...THEY...the government...half heartedly did the switch to metric. You want to mess a kid up tell him everything he has learned numerically will be changed. Good thing I was flexible and receptive to a new way of thinking. I can work with this. Thank you. :)

3. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

They haven't been teaching imperial measurements over here for 45 years or more but no-ones had the balls to force it through. Half the population have been educated in metric but we still drive in miles and drink pints.
    Why teach it if you're not going to use it. :rage::rage:
    Regards
    John

4. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Lot easier going to metric than away from it. You only need to look at your fingers and thumbs for all the unit multiples where the other way to get from inches to feet took all your toes plus two thumbs and fluid onces took all your fingers and toes but you only needed your thumbs to do pints to quarts

5. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

I have heard this grumble so many times, but the S.I. metric system makes a great deal of sense
    decimal fractions for one thing - and measures of mass, length and volume are interlinked and not a jumble of various measures from antiquity
    i am young enough that i did not have to get my head around pounds and ounces being one sixteenth of a pound and inches being a twelth of a foot and one thirty-sixth of a yard and 240 pennies in 20 shillings and so on
    but being english i still say kil - om - eter instead of kilo - meter cos it amuses me like when people say 'that is very unique'
    so is that more unique than just unique then? i enquire earnestly
    one day the whole world will be metric and the better for it ( but not time - metric hours and days? no way!)

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Back on subject (and I still don't understand why people find metric offensive, as opposed to extremely useful - and I was raised on British Imperial):

Thanks for that, @presscall. This is a very useful post.

Cheers

Tony

7. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Well, "back on subject" and then (parenthetically) off of it again.:lol::lol:

Metric does make a great deal of sense. But forcing people to change once they have their heads around Imperial measures -- as happened when I was around 12 years old -- just leads to confusion and resentment. Actually I was pretty much resigned to the switch, and was adapting to it, when we were all told, "never mind; the US is staying with Imperial measures (except, of course, for science and engineering)". Since by then I was working in one of the STEM fields, it just meant I would always need to live with both systems. It makes for a strange (and no doubt personal) mix.

I've usually got a pretty good "feel" for how many miles I've walked, and for how fast I'm driving in miles per hour, but have to convert to get to metric. On the other hand, I'm comfortable with either system for smaller lengths -- mm and cm, inches, meters, yards and feet. For units smaller than millimeters (microns to Angstroms), metric is much more comfortable for me to use. For weight and volume, I can work with either system, but I don't readily convert between them (except for liters, which are just big quarts, after all). For smaller volumes, I think in ounces (or cups and tablespoons!); for still smaller ones, milliliters. Strangely, with screws, nuts, and bolts, I seem to be stuck in Imperial.

....Arch

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @ArchMc

Ok, I'll take the bait... :lol::lol:

Leaving aside the Brits who continue to drive in miles and MPH; and drink in pints (which we do - but measured as metric), these are the only countries in the world that don't use metric as a national standard: Liberia; Burma; and the United States Of America...

Cheers :lol:

Tony

9. ArchMc

I didn't say it was logical; just that it's the way it is. I was really surprised (yet strangely comforted) when the US backed off from adopting the metric system. It just means that future generations of Americans will have to learn both systems, and will likely think in the same kind of strange mixture of units that I do.

And what exactly is a metric pint?:lol: Whatever; I'll raise one to you.

....Arch

10. janders

janders Subscriber

11. ArchMc

By the way, I think it's a good thing we drink in pints. If we drank in liters, we'd get sloshed way too fast. (And are you really going to go to a pub and say, "gimme five deciliters! Oh hell, make it six"?)

....Arch

12. janders

janders Subscriber

@ArchMc From a metrical guy:

The term used here for ages is "halvliter" - which is halflitre.
    It is used to the extent that you use it even if it is a 0.3 litre you buy.
    Mind you, this only relates to beer...

13. ArchMc

We drink it in glasses (usually about a pint), mugs (bigger), and schooners (bigger still). Above that, you're quaffing directly from a pitcher, which I can unfortunately remember doing on one really bad night, many years ago.

Also, I've been using the term "Imperial". In the US, of course, we use American measures, which are like Imperial, only different. (This is either endearing or frustrating, depending on your disposition, or on how many schooners you've sunk.)

....Arch

14. ArchMc

And John ( @presscall ),

I'm sorry for contributing so heavily to hijacking your post. The way you've shown the pot stand components against a grid is inspired, and should allow anyone to get the measurements needed to build one.

....Arch

15. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@ArchMc
    No need to apologise Arch! Interesting stuff.

For myself, with a tape measure having both scales and a mind set imposed by my country's (partial) move to metric when I was a young adult I flip between metric and Imperial for measurement to choose whichever system is most memorable at that moment while I transfer it to the piece of wood to be cut to length or whatever.

So, a dimension measuring 6 feet exactly is going to get marked up as that and not 1828.8 millimetres. Conversely, 200 millimetres will get tranferred as that and not 7.874 inches.

The pot stand got measured up metrically because the grid square cutting mat I had happened to be metric and I thought it would be a useful ploy to capture the contours.

John

16. janders

janders Subscriber

Interesting stuff.

Norway, being metric all the way, still have a few exceptions.

Building-material like lumber, especially the larger dimensions still is referred to as e.g. 2"x4", 3"x6".
    And why should a metric country use this version: 2000033346.jpg
    :-k

17. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

How to drive your local engineering firm daft:
    Order 6'3" of 40x40x5mm box section...... :whistle:

Alec.

18. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

i think it fair to point out that American imperial measures and British imperial are not quite the same, gallons for example and whilst i grew up with decimal currency some people of my grandparents generation did not adjust and continued to think in tanners and florins etc ten years later

as for being off topic - Maestro's posts are of such quality and variety that there must be times when this happens and why not?

19. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Thanks John (and Alexx) that is excellent,
    For the readers / newbies looking for stove parts who might not know terms used to describe various pot supports (the many varied pieces parts that support a pot above a flame).
    In CCS POSTS "Legs" is possibly the most popular term but was certainly foreign and confusing to me as a newbie.
    This OP: "Pot stand" (pot stands) is often used. For the moment a catalog cross-reference to pot stand escapes me.
    So, trying to be helpful here, i thought I'd add some tag words:
    Primus Pot Stand
    Stand
    1952 Primus catalog where page title is (no.85) stove the below No.85 is a lamp (and as utility, I get that) and No.1137 is a "Stand".
    Tripod & Tripod Stand we find in 1930 Primus-Con catalog & 1967 Primus-PTC catalog
    Standard Frame 1897 Primus-US catalog
    [ appearing w/standard frame is "Balancing frame" 1897 Primus-US catalog for YACHT (& for 1897 fixed-leg stove btw). ]
    Three-hole extension top stand 1903 Primus-US catalog
    3 vertical pcs. / CCS "legs" were iirc aka "standards"? back then.
    [[[ The 1917 (Svenska) Primus catalog has nice illustrations of No.81 - 85, stand not shown, I don't know if it's mentioned? tag @Christer Carlsson ]]]

Optimus & Primus copied each other but I'm unaware of what tag words might help find an Optimus equivalent, anyone?

more tags: leg, legs, 3-leg, 3-legged, 3-legger, pot stands, Pot support, pot supports, pot rests
    thx omc

PS oh yes, interesting drift worthy of a lounge topic fwiw fractions need not be gone w/metric, ...order up a half liter and so on. Sure beats 4/5ths of a quart!!! and is that US or Imp Qt. My foot happens to be 12 inches long other than that good riddens to what we in US call standard measure and HELLO METRIC!!, a conversion is long over due. Majority of US Food & drink are already labeled with both, as has been discussed on CCS.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  20. Funfundfunfzig

I note many of you are clearly struggling with the metric system.

This is the fault of your local match companies failing in their civic duty to educate their customers.

These were retrieved from the under dashboard shelf of my 55 Kombi that went into hibernation in 1975 giving an indication of their age...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I realise this was a thread about pot stands so apologies for contributing to the misdirection.

I did enjoy looking at the all of the details and was contemplating the manufture of a frame to carry a large stock pot for the cooking of ones Christmas pudding on a No.5 whilst fixed camping over the Christmas holidays. Might try to copy the design posted by @presscall