Primus Sportsman (2372?)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by brett thomas, Jul 28, 2021.

1. brett thomas United States

Hello - I'm new here on the forum, this is my first post. I've recently acquired what I believe is a Sportsman 2372 and I'm looking for information about it. I've dine some searching here and on Google but I haven't found much.

Any suggestions on where I could find a copy of the manual for this model? I'd like to see what, if any, parts are missing and go from there. I've searched the forum and couldn't find one here but maybe I'm missing something? Thanks in advance.

2. brett thomas United States

Here are some photos of it, maybe you all can tell me if that is the correct model?

Attached Files:

3. Dutchmike

It seems you are on your own with this stove, Brett. It is a stove meant to burn a gas like propane from bottles or canisters. I believe such appliances do not have much following on this site, with the emphasis here on liquid fuel stoves. I suspect this is an exclusive american product, and this is a worldwide forum, albeit in English. Unless you have sentimental attachments, it does look this stove is not much worth your time and energy. My approach would be to hunt for a second one that is complete, than make a decision which one in what state to discard. Good luck, and welcome to this site.

4. brett thomas United States

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm realizing that I probably won't get much info now. I figured that if I'd find any info anywhere, it would be here.

As far as the stove, I think it's complete, but I'm not 100% positive. That's why I was trying to find the model # or any other details.
    I found one guy on Facebook who has one. His works, but he has less than me, only the burner section (not the case and windscreen).
    I'm actually out now shopping for propane and then I will test it out.
    There's no sentimental attachment or anything like that, I'd just like to make it work.

Thanks

5. Dutchmike

I admire your attitude, making it functional. The working unit on Facebook should tell you what you have missing on this stove, plus a good indication what cannister or tank this unit takes. Some standardization in fuel supply is hopefully the case here. The colouring of this unit gives me the impression it is from the 60's ; do you have any idea how soon propane or similar became popular in the States?

6. brett thomas United States

Thanks Dutchmike. I'm not a collector or hardcore stovie, just wanted something that works. My first one was an 8R. I saw this Primus for a super cheap price and like the fact that it was a 2 burner so I grabbed it. I will eventually go through it and clean it up, possibly paint it and make it look pretty. But first I wanted to make sure it works properly. I have an old motorcycle and was just looking for something simple and sturdy to carry and make coffee with. And with a 2 burner, maybe a little more than coffee.

I don't know when propane became popular in the US. I was thinking the 60's, but that's just a guess. The connectors on this stove are standard for propane. I originally got a short, fat Coleman canister to test it. After seeing the photos from the guy on Facebook, I found out that Primus made taller, skinny ones, and that the stove is actually made to fit and fold up with these tanks. I went to the hardware store yesterday and got some tanks from the soldering/welding section and will see if these fit better. They appear to be slightly fatter than the Primus originals but might still fit just enough to allow them to be carried/stored with the stove. Much better than the fatter Colemans which would have to be removed and carried separately.

7. brett thomas United States

Here are pictures of it set up properly. Great design.

Attached Files:

8. Dutchmike

Brett, you show a different stove altogether. Not sure now what wou have been asking all along. If the colours are any indication, the cannisters shown belong originally to this stove. Returning to your initial quest, what makes you think it is a Primus stove? Indeed the bottles attach 'grasshopper style" but is there any firm label or stamped brand on this unit? I agree it is a jolly kind of stove, but to take it along on a motorcycle trip seems a tad too much - unless you have a sidecar. Me, I am hauling an Optimus 99 along for that purpose, thus quite similar to your 8R. Never gave it much thought to increase cooking capacity, as for me it is a typical road side stove that helps me survive on a camping if need be. What 'old motorcycle'? Mine is a Honda NTV650 with drive shaft that I want to be my last if I can help it. Mike

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  9. brett thomas United States

The last photo I posted are not of my stove. These came from the guy on Facebook who has the same model except he has the original Primus propane cylinders also.

I can't find any markings on the body of the stove but the valves are marked as Primus.

I do indeed have a sidecar. My set-up is a 1983 BMW R65 with a Velorex 562 attached.

10. Dutchmike

Aha, another 650 twin with a drive shaft. With the Velorex a known classic combination in Europe. I believe sidecars in the States are not that common? But your twin 'gassy' stove is likely more rare and I think it will take some good fortune and determination to get it to work. Good luck, regards, Mike