Primus stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by SthnJeff, Jan 12, 2020.

1. SthnJeff

Morning All

Can anyone help me identify this primus burner 20200112_164955.jpg If possible, I would like a diagram for assembly, showing where fibre washers fit.

I am having a tough time getting it to tighten properly onto the tank which is off my boat. 20200112_165338.jpg Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @SthnJeff when you say Primus do you mean that the burner is actually marked Primus, or just Primus type?

It looks to me as if it is intended for alcohol fuel rather than kerosene:

Optimus 45A in Bremer Sea Swing

What make is the stove?

For the majority of stoves, the.burner is generally attached to a threaded “riser” tube which extends from the tank. Your stove has only a short stub showing. If you got the burner mounted on the stub, would the burner be at the correct height relative to the stove body?

Here is link to an old post on heat-resistant washers and how to fit them:

Heat-resistant burner washers, and fitting them.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, @SthnJeff ,

is it possible that your burner is in need of one of those aluminum cone washers? Both the Primus and Optimus 535's use them to help seal the fuel line to burner connection, and also to help line up the regulating spindles in the right place. By the way, your burner, and it's caps need a really good cleaning. To my eyes, it does not appear that the outer cap is sitting flush on your burner, and there is a lot of grime and rust. These stoves work MUCH better, when the burners are as clean as they can be. FYI. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

6. SthnJeff

Thanks all for the help. This is a project I put away for a couple of years due to time constraints (and frustration) but it is now time to get this sorted so I can get rid of the propane burner on the boat at the moment !

From information gleaned it appears to be a #209 or #209N burner. It is attached to a "homemade" stainless steel stove as seen in the second picture.

Once fitted to the stub, the burner sits at about the right height.

I intend to give it all a good clean before final assembly. Is a light media blast too agressive ?

I will order the cones from Caravan and camping here in NZ. Are they fitted narrow part of the cone upward or downward ?

Once again guys, many thanks for the help

Jeff