Primus Varifuel Hose Question

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by pipenfly, Sep 28, 2021.

1. pipenfly

pipenfly Subscriber

Hello All

I managed to pick this stove up in my travels. It was never fired until I put my hands on it.
    01414_2w4TNgv7adz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    I traveled quite a way to purchase it from a camping man who bought it in the early 1990's and stored it in his basement for 20+ years. Thank goodness for small favors.
    I never though I'd find a reason to purchase one of these remote stoves. Yet, here it is. And the reason, it was there. My stove pox took a hold and I couldn't wait to have it.
    I'm getting to know this little monster and it's capabilities. I cut and installed a thicker priming pad I made out of some fireproof mat, made sure all the seals were intact, filled the bottle with CF, primed and she roared. I put a pot with two liters of water on in order to get familiar with high, low and simmering capabilities figured out that I might be able to prepare steel cut oats on this baby.
    20210928_141735.jpg
    The stove eats CF like a hungry bear fattening up for the winter. I'd like to change the jet/nipple from the 35 to the 28 so I can burn good clean paraffin instead of CF. I'm hoping a heavier fuel and smaller orifice will cut down on fuel consumption. Problem I'm having is that I need to remove the part of the fuel hose which is attached nearest to the burner. It is stuck.
    20210928_141754.jpg
    Seems in order to not bend anything out of shape, the straight portion of the looped pre-heating fuel line must be heald firmly while wrenching the hex nut and ultimately getting the fuel line detached. Hex nut will not fit through the burner. In order to gain unobstructed access to the jet, fuel line must be removed. Has anyone done this? Should I apply a little heat to this part of the fuel line before I put a wrench to it? Is it a reverse thread? It is stuck so I stopped to photo and write this question.
    A gram of prevention is worth a kilogram of cure.
    Sorry for all the words. I'm hoping someone can help.

Peter

2. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@pipenfly,

I've removed and reinstalled quite a few of those and some did stick at first. It's a right hand thread. I'm wondering why you would need to remove the fuel line unless you were going to clean out the generator tube as there is a braided cable in there and that's all. You can unscrew the burner bell to access the jet or remove the flame plate. That fuel line and pump aren't replaceable with original parts if damaged, you would have to update with the new version which are currently sold out at Primus. You might be able to find the stove maint kit on ebay but I have not seen one in years, but it would have the jet you are looking for.

3. pipenfly

pipenfly Subscriber

Thank you HunterStovie! I have the correct jet. Just need to install it. I'm brandy new to this stove and kind of all thumbs when it comes to getting into this one. I will try unscrewing the burner bell tonight. Hopefully I can post a wicked kero flame burn on this thing with the new jet installed.
    I actually purchased it to use as a parts stove for a KAP Arctic build I'm getting into. I realized the rarity of the parts afterwards. I'm choosing to keep this one whole and use it as a intended.
    Fuel hose and pump for the KAP continues...

4. pipenfly

pipenfly Subscriber

I unscrewed the burner bell. It was as simple as that. Not as complicated as I expected it to be. Thank you for your input.
    This one really lights up the night. Fantastic little cooking apparatus.
    20210929_042908.jpg

5. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

Glad it all worked out.

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Ya gotta love this pkace when complicated becomes simple.
    Yahoo.