Problem uploading JPEG image

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback & Problems' started by igh371, Aug 29, 2021.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

I seem to have run into a problem trying to upload what to me appears to be a perfectly normal 'jpeg' image. Upload fails with the following error notice - "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension". What on earth is that supposed to mean?????

2. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

i can't say as i understand the topic but if you haven't tried
    change
    .JPG
    to
    .jpg
    or visa a versa. has been a quick fix for me over the years.

that's all i've got. i KNOW with tutelage i could do far better with posting pics than i'm able to manage today.

3. igh371

No joy with that, or with using Paint to resave image as 'jpg' as well 'jpeg'.

What is an 'allowed extension' any way? And how would you recognise one if you bumped into it?

4. OMC

you note i've been posting saved .jpg files in this meanwhile, so site is ok. I presume this prob is with ONE file or same group of (corrupt/incompatible) file(s)? I've had the same prob often enough, and go to quick work arounds.

you might try re-SAVE it and reconsider that process from where ever you sourced it?

windows snipping tool (if you have that) is an alternative method to create/save to .jpg files.

i end up using various online image programs and, myself, would quickly try that option as well.

5. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Yes, just as OMC says; the uploading function work as it's supposed to as far as I can tell. I tried a couple of computers and the smart phone, but no problems.

It most probably is a problem on "your side", and I hope you will resolve it.

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

email me the file & I'll take a look.

7. Christer Carlsson

I already asked him to e-mail it to me while answering the online question, but two sharp brains are absolutely better than one :lol:

8. Lennart F Sweden

The most common problem is when someone tries to use the "image" button to upload an image.
    "Upload a file" is the button that use to work for images.

9. Christer Carlsson

Good point Lennart, but igh371 is one of our greatest contributors, and as such of course well familiar on how to upload files, so that's not the problem here.

I got his file on e-mail, and it's corrupted. Probably a .png file with a .jpg extension, but that's easy to fix, so we will see a solution here.

10. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Wouldn't open in Adobe Photoshop Elements but I could open it in one of my image viewers & used that to take a snip which was then saved.

Lux advert Kristinehamnsposten 1906.jpg

11. Christer Carlsson

Indeed. I got the same. Photoshop is a great program, but very picky. It wouldn't open at all.

I just simply used "Paint", which allow pretty much everything, and then saved it as a .jpg.
    The file lost its "Transparency", according to "Paint". That indicate that it had several layers, which in its turn indicate that it was created in a similar program to Photoshop (.psd or .ppd extension)

But in "Paint" it was possible to save it as a regular .jpg, and after that, I also was able to upload it here.

Sometimes simple editors are better than expensive ones.

Lux advert Kristinehamnsposten 1906_jpg.jpg

12. OMC

She's a beauty, I look forward to seeing more.

For .jpg,
    That's a good result Walfrid.

Walfrid, Obs ! hur rensnalen finner sin bestamda väg sjalf
    Walfrid, Notice how the cleaning needle finds its definite path itself.
    (or as google likes to say: Notice! how the reindeer herd finds its definite path itself )
    just kidding, sorry for the drift, i'll get my coat

13. Christer Carlsson

:lol::lol::lol:
    Well, Google translate surely give us a few good laughs now and then, even if it's perhaps not really as bad as you suggest.;)

14. igh371

PNG, PSD, PPD, Transparency ... I have no idea what any of these things are or how to recognise them or know whether they are right or wrong, but our two website wizards have certainly fixed the image:clap:.

Awesome!

And so now the post is added to the Reference Library Advertising section:thumbup:

(here)

15. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

problem solved - partialy....
    most digitalisation programs - came from Adobe
    internal/sub format for graphic in digitalised documents - is not "pure" *.jpg
    on that reality - user layer programs - with different "save", "save as", "export" - meaning/works... create next problems - unexpected behaviors.
    ------------
    "Cut OFF" problem way is - PrintScreen picture catching - and i.e. Gimp "export" -> .jpg subformat