Problem with Coleman 424 unleaded Stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Erik Nyman, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Erik Nyman Tanzania, United Republic of

Hi gentlemen,

My Coleman 424 failed on me this morning after nearly a year in use. The flame died on me and has never done that before. Trying to light is back up, the generator isn’t sending any fumes through it so I can’t be ignited again.

When I take off the nozzle on the tip of the generator, there is fuel coming through. The tank has pressure in it.
    I’ve disassembled and cleaned out the whole assembly. But if I put the nozzle back on, still no fumes coming through.

Looking at photos and YouTube videos, the valve rod that travels through the generator seem to have a needle at the tip of it. My needle is lodged in the nozzle. Is this a different design or is my needle broken and clogging the hole in the nozzle?

upload_2020-4-6_18-17-10.jpeg

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, @Erik Nyman ,

What fuel are you running through this stove? If it's Unleaded Auto Gas, there is your problem. Even though Coleman advertises that stove as being OK with auto fuel, it most certainly is NOT, as it WILL clog, eventually, and then a new generator is usually called for. If you completely dismantle the generator, you should see your problem, I'm thinking. You can try to clean it thoroughly, but that may, or may not work out for you. Keep us posted, as to how it goes, and good luck.

Doc

PS - As you say you've already disassembled and cleaned the entire thing, you should have seen if the needle was broken off, or not. When you dismantle, and entire rod, with needle insitu, should be removed. Then, you can see if your needle is broken off, or not. Might be the clogging about which I mentioned. If you can't see light through your jet, when it's removed from the generator, then your jet is clogged. If the needle is not on the end of the generator rod, then yes, it's broken off.

3. Erik Nyman Tanzania, United Republic of

Thank you Doc Mark for your quick reply.

I live and work in Tanzania, East Africa and unleaded petrol is what we have to make do with here, unfortunately...

Looking at the rod now I can definitely see that the needle is missing and stuck in the nozzle. What a shame. Ordering spare parts to Africa is close to impossible...

What do you gentlemen think about a good old bush fix to get it going again? Can the needle be soldered back on the rod again?

I can only imagine it was a build up of soot and grime that got the needle stuck in the nozzle. Running it with unleaded petrol probably requires very regular cleaning and maintenance of these parts.

4. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

There is sometimes enough of the needle left in the long generator rod that more can be pulled out, hope that makes sense.

Stove will function without cleaning needle at end, but you will have to prick jet when it clogs with carbon, and if you are running unleaded, you will probably have to prick it often.

5. Erik Nyman Tanzania, United Republic of

Ok so I tried to light the stove without the needle. First without inserting the tank and the generator into the stove, and it was ejecting sporadic streams of fuel, not fumes which I thought it would, but a solid stream of petrol. When I put it into the stove, the petrol was spilling into the tray under the burners. I didn’t light it at this point, didn’t seem smart. It just doesn’t seem to work well without the needle...

Do you guys think it can be successfully soldered back onto the rod?

6. Duck United States

. When you tested without the tip was the lighting lever in the up position. Up mixes fuel with air in the tank and you get a mist where down will give you straight fuel in a stream.
    Same thing when you tested with tank in place up to light for a min till the gen heats up.. have you tried OldColemanparts.com to see if you could get parts from him? If your only choice is auto fuel then it would be a good idea to have a few spare generators on hand when the other clogs. Go to Coleman collectors forum and search on how to clean a generator. Also if you can’t get a new generator search on how to replace tip using guitar string. Don’t know how hard it is to get guitar string where you are. You can also place a wtb ad in the classified there. I’m sure someone will help you.

7. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

It will not eject fumes till generator is hot. Sporadic streams of fuel is what you should get.

Solder will not work, gets too hot. Again, you may be able to pull more from the rod in generator.

Did yoiu try to light it before fuel started spilling into tray?? Lever up, open valve, light stove.

Just checked my 417B stove, (older, but same operation) and needle backs all the way out of tip when valve is open. lack of tip should not change the way it runs.

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS @Erik Nyman

Soldering will not work. In this post I had to make a new cleaning needle. The stove is different but the technique is the same.

Coleman 500 Making a new cleaning needle.

Soft Soldering won't work because solder will melt due to operating temp.
    Silver soldering requires too much heat and the pricker wire will burn during soldering

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  9. Duck United States

Thank you for correcting me Majicwrench. You are of course right it won’t get fumes till the gen gets hot... senior moment

10. Erik Nyman Tanzania, United Republic of

Apologises for the late response and feedback, gentlemen.

What a lovely community you have here on this forum. I never knew about it until I started researching about my stove, and what a bonus to find such a wealth of info on here.

So with the needle broken off - the stove till works. But I obviously can’t regulate the flame on the main burner. It will burn full on all the time. The secondary burner can still be operated like normal, adjusting the flame with the valve on the left side. I can still cook meals on it just fine, I’m just using a bit extra fuel. Ive ordered a couple of new generators from EU so let’s see if DHL can manage to get them down here to Tanzania.

I did a lot of research to find a camp stove to suit our needs. Using unleaded petrol just seemed like a great idea. It’s the only fuel here that can be found in almost every village where there is a motorcycle. Gas bottles are also an option here but we live and travel remotely on overland expeditions and should you run out of gas in the middle of the bush in a game reserve... it gets frustrating. It’s just a lot easier and cheaper to use petrol.

I can’t say enough about how pleased I’ve been with this stove. It has produced some great meals in some seriously remote and wild places.

And sometimes... we get bad fuel... seriously bad fuel.. it’s one thing to get it in your camp stove but when we get dirty diesel that people have mixed with paraffin or water in our Toyota Land Cruiser... It turns into a big headache really quickly. We always carry spare fuel filters for that reason.

For the stove - I’m thinking I’m going to start adding a dash of injector cleaner with the refills. Should help to reduce the clogging, what do you think?

Thanks again everyone.

11. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

@Erik Nyman
    Thinking - do you use a funnel like the Coleman ones where there is a build-in felt-layer as a fine filter?
    Like this one - the blue filter is seen here.
    VINTAGE COLEMAN FUEL NO 0 FILTER FUNNEL GAS 199C1111 ORIGINAL BOX 76501000023 | eBay
    That could catch a lot of the dirt and water bubbles as well?

During a 6 months business trip to the northern part of Afghanistan - we would fuel (diesel) locally. But before it went in the fueltanks of our armored 4x4 - we would pour around a liter or two in a clear glass jar and then hold it to the light. After a few minutes impurities, water etc. would be visible and we would knew if we would dare to use it.
    We also had a funnel with a (larger version of) this filter on the hose
    10mm 3/8" Universal Inline Gas Petrol Fuel Filter Pipe Motorcycle Dirt Quad | eBay- bringing spare filters we would just change them when clogged (It can take a while to let it run through)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  12. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

13. Jim Lukowski United States

I personally wouldn't add injector cleaner since it's yet another additive to the fuel. I think you may be better served buying a gun cleaning kit for the rods and brushes to clean out the generator tube on occasion, and a can of spray carb cleaner to flush it afterwards, if you are able to purchase it.