problems with optimus 8R hunter...

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by fluff34567, Jun 16, 2011.

1. fluff34567

Hello all,

i found this site while looking 4 answers and hope someone can help me..

I have been given a rather sad looking and abused 8r optimus stove and I am trying to get it working as it should.

The stove does not put out a lot of heat and when I turn the handle to closed, the flame still happily burns either until it runs out of fuel or I turn the handle to clean, then it goes out.

I have only used coleman fuel in the unit and even after 10 minutes it is unable to boil a large cup of water, for reference I could get a rolling boil with the same cup on a trangia cooker in less than 5 minutes.

i tried to take the wick out to see if it was carbonised at the end but the wick would not come out of the vaporising tube so rather than breaking something i have left it be.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to take this thing apart, what fuel I should use, how long it normally takes to boil approx 250ml of water and where I can get spares...... someone has used the wrong sized spanner on the tube to tank connection and rounded the fitting so the only way to seperate the tank and burner is by using vise grips!! :(

Many Thanks in advance.

rob

2. itchy

Hi Rob,

Welcome. It sounds like you have a good project there. The stove should work much better than you describe.

The most likely cause for a weak flame is a cap gasket that is not doing its job; have you replaced that yet? A member here sells washers and you might still find them on ebay -- but a proper fuel resistant O-ring will work as a temporary fix (or permanent, depending on your nature).

The shut off problem could be just a matter of resetting the cleaning needle. There are good descriptions around here as to how that is done so I'll skip repeating them. But, an easy test is to just remove the cleaning needle, replace the jet and test the stove sans needle. If it now shuts off you have identified that problem, if it still doesn't shut down it suggests that the spindle valve is not seating properly. That might be fixed with a little cleaning or it may require something more. Again there are some fixes described around here, but better you do the easy checks first.

3. fluff34567

thanks 4 the info, i will have a good look around regarding the needle re setting. the washer on the tank cap is fine and it easily builds up pressure in the tank.

4. fluff34567

oh - i tried and tried to remove the wick today but no way would it come out - i guess its the original with a small wire twist... is it just a case of PULL?

i had it in a vise and pulled with all my strength but it wouldnt move ! ](*,)

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I had the wick in my 123 stick, had to use a drill, when I discovered it had a brass screen way down there also. Good luck.

6. itchy

If the wick is that stuck, it sure sounds like that could be a problem. Maybe soak it in some solvent, acetone, etc? I've always just grabbed the wire and it pulls out.

7. RonPH

It must be one in a thousand that has a stuck wick up the tube and as you mentioned you pulled hard and it would not get off. The tip of the wick must be burnt/hardened and the mesh stuck fast inside. Try putting the wick on the vise and turn the burner either way. It might squeeze the wick to compress and release. Best bet would be a drill but just be careful not to damage the inside walls. Hope you get it to run well soon.

Ron

8. linux_author

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. fluff34567

thanks 4 all the replies, i had to take a drill to the wick tube - it all came out eventually.

the adjuster spindle seat was coked so i cleaned that up as best i could.

i put a new cotton wick in and then tried what i thought was coleman fuel (so my friend said) it turned out to be ethanol and it will not stay lit once the preheat has burnt off.

i tried it with a bit of normal petrol and it was roaring away, far better than the day before.

i noticed turning the handle didnt make to much of a difference and when it is turned to close the stove will still run until the fuel runs out...

is that normal?

i need a new graphite seal as i get a tiny fluid leak in that area, so also losing pressure.

would anyone have a vaporisor tube for sale or know of one???? - as i said someone in the past has attacked the tube nut and now it needs vise grips to seperate the tank and burner/vaporisor tube assy and i would like to correct this.

whats a going price for a service kit about £20??

many thanks

rob.

10. theyellowdog

Another good way to remove a totally stuck wick is to heat up the fuel tube a few times with a torch or another stove. The wick turns to dust and you can then ram and hook it with a sturdy bit of wire, it crumbles out.

It it possible to re-profile the nut on your burner tube with a swipe of a file? Or braise a new nut on.

To get the stove to turn off correctly
    -remove the jet,
    -turn the reg off,
    -put the needle assembly in,
    -turn the stove on slowly, you will feel the needle click over the spindle teeth (up and down a little) as you turn the reg.
    -Feel 4 clicks,
    -turn the reg off and it should pull the needle down.
    -Re assemble and cook.

If 4 does not work correctly, try 3.

Good luck

Dan

11. itchy

Nope. It should shut off. In a pinch you may be able to turn it completely counter clockwise so the needle is up, and then blow out the residual flame. Let it cool a little and then release the pressure if it is leaking.

Most likely there is still a little crud in there that keeps the valve from seating correctly. That assumes the cleaning needle is properly installed as described above. If you take the spindle out, check the tip and clean it up well. If it looks damaged, with some work it can be resurfaced and polished up but I have never done this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015