Problems with Primus 111B pump rod

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by GBC, Jan 20, 2021.

1. GBC South Africa

I have been scratching around in this forum for a while but cannot seem to come across a similar problem. The end nut on my pump rod is stuck (Primus 111B). The pump rod seems to be made of steel and the nut also appears to be of same material. I need to take this off in order to change the pump leather washer. Can anyone help with technique, ideas for getting the stubborn nut to come loose, etc? I'm scared of the thread breaking off the pump rod.

BTW, fantastic forum! Its great to see so much knowledge being shared by like-minded people.

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@GBC A badge-engineered Optimus 111B after their takeover of Primus for Optimus to appeal to brand-loyal Primus buyers?

If it’s just corrosion get the nut and rod at that point red-hot with a blowtorch. That’ll shift the bond (and destroy the remains of the pump cup washer). If the rod has been peened over, keeping the nut captive, file off the burr.

Welcome!

John

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @GBC. Have a read through this old thread. In the last entry there is a link to a Plan B appproach, going in from the top of the pump shaft:

Typical pump assembly

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. GBC South Africa

Hi John, Many thanks for your reply. Waiting to get the replacement parts from The Fettlebox. I cannot understand why this nut is so tight. The stove is in almost new condition but once the parts arrive, I will definitely give the heat treatment remedy a try.

5. GBC South Africa

Thanks ever so much. I'll head over there and give the tread a good study.