progress on Prentiss Wabers 205

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Tom Fritts, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Tom Fritts United States

I have been working sporadically on my PW205 which definitely needed a renewal of the NRV and a new fuel cap gasket. I had to fabricate the pip using Viton material and the first few times I put it together and pumped it up, the pump handle slowly emerged indicating a leak. I reassembled it several times cleaning surfaces and stretching the internal spring a bit and ultimately it held warranting a fuel fill and lighting. The stove lit easily with just a bit of flooding on initial light(probably my inexperience) , but the flame settled down quickly and purred along. However when I opened the valve to get a higher flame and to support the second burner, the flame tended to go to half yellow/half blue. I allowed it to burn for 15 minutes or so and the yellow was reduced on the main burner and only slightly present on the secondary burner. Adjusting the light up valve (second one) did not seem to affect the situation. Does anyone have a suggestion of what the issue is for the yellow flame tendency when the valve is opened to half or full throttle. I'm going to guess that there may be a bit of gunk in the generator.
    I'm a bit confused by the grid of holes in the center of the main burner. I assumed that it was a way to put more heat on the generator for faster startup, but only when the stove was nearly shut down did I see flames coming from those holes as opposed to those on the perimeter of the burner.
    My plan at present is to fill it and let it run for awhile to see if any improvement will result from fuel running through the system.

2. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

The grid on top of the main burner is indeed to keep the generator up to temp. There should be flame there all the time.

3. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

On a stove that hasn't run in a while you often get yellow or orange as it burns off all the crap. You can see it with a propane torch, light torch, nice blue flame, now hit a piece of rusted metal with flame, and it will go yellow.

ALSO you mentioned flooding it.....once these are flooded, it takes a looooong time for the excess fuel to burn off, much longer than you think, so that very well could be what you saw. Does a 205 have a valve on tank and a valve up by stove like my 208?? When you go to light it, open valve by tank a good turn, and valve by stove a turn or less, just enough to get fuel flowing, NOT wide open, or it will flood. And have ignition source ready at burner.

Run it, it will clean up.

I have a 208, really enjoy it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. Tom Fritts United States

Thanks for the guidance and assurance. I was pretty excited to get that performance and will work toward a thorough exercising. My second (air adjust) valve is at a right angle to and adjacent to the main shutoff. Much like it would be if it were one of the "C" stoves.

5. Tom Fritts United States

6. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

[​IMG]

Valves on your stove (pictured above) are different than my 208......on your, open the valve facing front a full turn or more, the valve facing to right, don't open wide up or it will flood.
    Nice!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021