Project No. 1,000 and One-Optimus 111

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Cookie, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

So it has finally come to pass that I have acquired an Optimus eleventy-one that was in perhaps "bad" condition. It has been a purposeful adventure that I set upon some time ago. I wanted one of those fancy stainless cases for a 111 but wanted to find a stove that had a damaged case in serious need of repair or not repairable to justify removal of the stove from the case and possibly never using the case again.

The stove arrived today and with some reserve I opened the box. Upon my initial inspection I thought "Man this baby is heavier than my 111B" to only realize that they had shipped it completely full of fuel. I opened the case hoping that the lid hing weld and tank bracket welds were the only things broken or damaged. Ya know..hope for the best and try not to cringe. I saw the rust, the broken (not detached) lid hinge, detached font brackets, missing font/tank screw, bent to hell flame ring, and warped and bent priming cup. In the back of my mind the saying from the "Six Million Dollar Man" show's theme came to mind and I heard "We can rebuild him...better...stronger..faster".

So I tried to open the fuel cap. Nope stuck. A wrench and some leather helped to free it up. I looked at the cap and thought "yep...first things first..this is gonna leak" lol. Next the pump. Of course the nrv is stuck. Why wouldn't it be. Suprisingly the pump cap came off easily and the pump leather was fine. I gave it a couple of pumps and she gave in. "Ahh..it's working" I thought. "That priming cup won't hold fuel " was my next thought so off to the anvil with a hammer and a socket. Five minutes later it looked something like a priming cup once again. There's no hope for that flame ring but I do have a spare"slightly" bent one that won't be from a spare burner so on it goes. Next, it's time to straighten up the burner to the correct position and free up the stuck control valve.

So there I am with this rusted and broken case, old as sin fuel, bent up stove with it's "slightly" warped flame ring pondering what was next. "Let's check for fuel blockage" was my next thought. None...fuel on demand just like the doctor ordered. I said to myself....Lets see if this "I fell of the mountain six years ago and somebody just found me stove" is worthy of the mighty eleventy-one reputation. I left the original leaking fuel cap on it, added some alcohol to the pan,and lit her up. A minute later that baby was cooking my coffee with a bad air leak ! I took pictures of the flame with a leak and with a temporary replacement fuel cap (last pic). Enjoy !

DSC_0001 (Medium).JPG DSC_0004 (Medium).JPG DSC_0005 (Medium).JPG DSC_0006 (Medium).JPG DSC_0012 (Medium).JPG DSC_0015 (Medium).JPG DSC_0018 (Medium).JPG DSC_0023 (Medium).JPG

PS-That air leak is from the faulty tank seal and srv pip on the fuel cap. There was little improvement from simply replacing the tank seal on the fuel cap.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  2. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I am happy for you that you finally found one. Mine is in the category of stove that is “oh, you wanted it to actually work every time”. Not all my stoves do. Enjoy!

3. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

The best part was the price. I got it delivered for about 25% of the going price on the bay of evil.

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Ger er going correctly is next step. I've gotten many 8/8R's, 111's with much worse rusted cases. Have fun attaching the tank holder things.
    Duane